Looking for good reading material

mrb1982

I have been shooting intermediate to long range for a while now but I am wanting to refine my skills and also see where my deficiencies are at so I am looking for some reading material.

I am looking for:
1) Books on good prone shooting technique.
2) Maybe something on good trigger pull technique, although thar may fall under the same genre as the prone shooting technique books.
3) Books on calling the wind.

Any recommendations for books or series of books or even videos that you have found to lay a good basic foundation and also give details in the more experienced areas. Thanks.

Have one of Nathan's book. They are good for sure.
This year I got: Practical Shooter's Guide: A How-To Approach For Unconventional Firing Positions and Training
It is $10.00 as an ebook. It is mostly related to PRS shooting, but the guy does a good job explaining how to use various positions with a bipod and backpack or rear bags. I don't shoot PRS but have this book on my phone and practiced a lot of the positions while field shooting for hunting practice this year. There are some good positions for effective shooting in various terrain with a bipod. Book also covers trigger control and breathing etc. at the start.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1537174789/?tag=lrhmag19-20

I'll add a thumbs up to Nathan's books. I got the whole series in the "print on demand" format. The wound photos may be a bit too much for the squeamish spouse or child to thumb through if the book is laying around at home.

I got a three pack of Nathan's books for Christmas last year.
Practical Guide to long range shooting, reloading, and bolt action maintenance & accurizing.
All great stuff

Ryan Cleckner has a pretty decent field reference called the Longrange Shooting Handbook. Depending in your level of experience, it may be a little too basic, but he does a good job of reducing shooting topics to the basics as easy to remember or easy to look up ideas.

Dvd series art of the precision rifle is also pretty good.

Last edited:
For prone position and ttrigger control I would recommend a DVD from Rifles Only. Their first DVD on Fundamentals of Marksmanship.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.