Looking for first pack.

If you're only going to use it for this one hunt just buy something cheaper like the alpsz frame pack. Eberlestock aren't really cheap and are heavy. I have a mini-me hydration pack from them and a X2 pack.

Last edited:
Eberlestock is a tough pack, but really heavy in my opinion.
☝🏼This is spot on.

I have 3 Kifaru packs, all take their Gun Bearer which is required equipment IMO. Door Gunner (early season scouting and light loads), Shape Charge (my first Kifaru - internal frame, though I have considered selling it since getting the other two - except it works so well as a travel beg/personal item), 22 Mag on ultralight frame (perfect for what you are asking and my go to for the larger loads). I highly recommend Kifaru. Weight management is awesome, especially on the frame pack. I debated back and forth before coughing up the cash for that Shape Charge and never looked back.

I also have their Grab It in orange (actually 2 of them, one for my youngest son too) and two Sherman Pockets in Ranger Green and Orange. More story here if someone is interested in them, ask.

Two of my sons have the Mystery Ranch Pintler and they work well too. They were purchased to save $ over the Kifaru and I would do it again for them but not me. The first I bought for my youngest son who was 14 when we got the pack, now 15. The Mystery Ranch frame is adjustable and will accommodate a teenager growing. His brother, 25 bought his after trying it. Other 25yr old son bought Kifaru 44 Mag but he is in the FSC of the 19th and working on the team track so heavier loads are in the future.

Last edited:
Kifaru with the gun bearer works for me. I piggyback a Badlands daypack. Not actually using the gun bearer in this pic. Idaho Elk, middle fork of the Salmon.

idahoelkhunt020926 garey looking up salmon river from bull creek ridge.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a Kuiu fan, they're designed as a hunting pack from the ground up as opposed to being a hiking or military pack converted to use for hunting. I also like Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch and Kifaru. I don't recall reading where you intend to hunt which could be a major factor. Kuiu is designed for lightweight mountain hunting and able to pack out a lot of boned out elk or sheep or mule deer or whatever. I personally would only buy their Pro line as they are built stronger and designed to carry more weight. For short day hunts or other packing purposes I use their 2300 Venture but it's not intended for a deep into the mountain long duration self supported hunt.

I have a Badlands Superday that is great for day hunts. Plus, Jeremy Renner used one in the movie Wind River, so I have that going for me.😃
LOL, that movie inspired my pack upgrade search a couple of years ago. I even order in several Badlands packs and the bino harness. All of them were returned, thank Cabelas! They just didn't quite do it. I would say the Badlands stuff is better than most out there but not on the level of the others being mentioned here. I just about went Eberlestock but my brother has his full Police sniper kit in one, rear scabbard, all of the setup. It is a tank but HEAVY and spendy. I haven't tried the Kuiu pack but their other gear is nice, just ordered a vest and gaiters from them yesterday, frame looks interesting and could go either way but no experience. Mystery ranch is good, not quite up to Kifaru but better budget. Kifaru is a whole different level. Not super lightweight but the modularity, usability, quality, etc. is whole other level. Not cheap but it's worth it!

Bino Harness is Marsupial gear enclosed BTW. There are now a few others out there I would look at but that one just plain works and I would probably get it again. I am in the process of modifying their hydration pack to work with the Kifaru stuff and a hydration/kill kit/light scout (without a rifle) pack. It's basically just a camelback integrated with the bino harness.

If money isn't super tight, just go Kifaru and don't bother looking back.

I just looked on Kifaru's website and the have quite a few on sale, but $500 or so for a frame is a lot, plus the pack so one could easily spend a grand but, as JPN said if money isn't tight... The most expensive complete Kuiu system with their largest 7800cc Pro pack is a about $650 ish

I've got my eye on the "Just One" pack seems like a good cross over pack. Eberlestock seems like a company that is either love or hate with zero room in between. In reality this is likely the only elk hunt or anything like it I'll go on for quite awhile. Otherwise just my prairie antelope, deer, and coyote hunting. I don't need a true mountain pack. Kind of a lot of money to tie up in something a guy might hate 😬
I bought and used the Just one last year and had no complaints after packing out two mule deer and an elk other than the pack by itself is a little heavy. I'm 51 6'4 230 and stay in the best shape possible and would prefer the pack to be a little lighter although I'm still carrying a 12 lb rifle. There are many options on packs but I do love the durability of just one pack and will continue to use it for hopefully many years to come.

I have two Eberle's, a day pack and an elk hunter I am 81 so don't hit the high country any more. But i love my Eberle's.

Thank you all for the responses this pack thing got so technical do fast almost worse than pondering calibers. I'm 5 10 235 and have been shedding weight getting ready. This is not high mountains or super back country and as of now we will not be sleeping in the wilderness. But having said that the areas we intend to target will require meat/antlers being carried out on our backs. That is the main reason I'm looking. If I can find a pack that I will use for my coyote hunting that I do a ton of all the better.

I have owned two Eberlestock packs. I really liked them until they literally fell apart. Since they were both guaranteed, I sent them to Eberlestock to have them replace the strapping and repair holes where seams came apart got them back with a nasty note about abuse and they used a glue gun on some of the repair. Boy were they ugly. Bought myself a Stone Glacier and no need to look for another. Light weight and tough as nails.

As a long time backpacker and backcountry hunter I can say with authority that, nice as they are for military use, Eberlestock packs for hunting are TOO HEAVY by several pounds.
I recommend an internal frame pack that is made to carry 80 lbs. Deuter has some good ones like the Air Contact Lite 65 + 10 (75 liter max capacity). Others are Osprey's big packs, Kelty, Gregory, The North Face and REI.
A good external frame pack would be Seek Outside. Many hunters love them.

Remember, you are carrying a rifle, ammo, butchering gear and game bags IN ADDITION to your backpacking gear.
And elk hunting usually requires hoofing it at around 7,000 to 10,00 feet, where air is thin and hunters tire easily. Weight you carry becomes extremely important at that point.
i recommend hiking poles and buy a pair of Quick siX to quickly mate them and have solid shooting bipod sticks.

If I were buying today I'd be looking at Seek Outside. They are using some very interesting and high tech textiles (ultra PE400) and for me they are appealing for crossing over into backpacking. That said I I have a stone glacier 5900 and it is a Cadillac under load for me. I have had Sitka, mystery ranch and worn military packs as well as some eberlee and badlands. Not to mention many backpacking style bags over the years.

I can't say enough good on the stone glacier packs and frames. That's where I'd spend my money (again, if I were in the market I'd have to at least try the new seek outside for the innovation) My buddy has a really nice kifaru but it's heavy and reminds me of our old military packs. Not for me any more.

Congrats on the good tag and whatever pack you get , get it soon and start wearing it… with weight! Packs are all great at 30#.