Looking for a Unicorn- in KY, TN or close by.

What were theses Dredges used for????

I worked as a machinist in 11th & 12 Grade full time at night and weekends for Medico Industries machining 60mm motors, 275mm rockets, 75mm recoilless rifles. Started learning how to chamber rifles from a top comp shooter in PA 1960s and up. Built Hot Rod Engines to spend all my money burning tires off the rims. Was a Marine then a Computer Engineer. Later on in life I was building Submarines for General Dynamics. Did a lot of Structural work on the Hulls for the 688s Fast Attacks, Sea Wolfs, and 726 Boomers was one of the top welders for the Nuc reactor. I was called in to do any repair work-Had a ZERO % defect rate. I can weld the crack of dawn!
Along with that have several thousand Sky Dives and SCUBA world wide. Went with the Cousteau Society on an expedition, Was an Ultra Athlete, ran hundreds of Ultra Marathons (50 mile +) did the Appalachian Trail many times (the southern parts where the mts are 6,500ft). Climbed Ranier and Denali was and still a survivalist.
Avid hunter world wide.
Oh and by the way we are animal lovers and rescue discarded/abandoned cats & dogs!

Ended up with a sever spinal cord injury for the past five years, but never shut down and keep seeking high precision shooting rifles. Worked on firearms for well over 50 years.
Now putting the finishing touches up on our Dream GS Shop for Custom Chambering and Cerakoting. Invested $$$$$ for all new State of the Art Machines/Equipment/Tooling. Won't take a job unless very good components for anything. Hunting or Competition rifles are all the same to us for the process. There is no Hunting-Competition chambering. Only one way to chamber -Perfect every time. The only difference is the materials used -Action/Barrel and how they were manufactured. Chambering is constant.
Brother.....I have nothing but respect for you! We know who we are. Been there, done it, have all the postcards! No explanations needed!

Brother.....I have nothing but respect for you! We know who we are. Been there, done it, have all the postcards! No explanations needed!
Too bad we didn't live closer. We have a really great range to shoot and plenty of hogs and Yotes. I am sure you have some big game in your neck of the woods!
If there is anything we can help you out with reloading let us know
Len & Jill

Too bad we didn't live closer. We have a really great range to shoot and plenty of hogs and Yotes. I am sure you have some big game in your neck of the woods!
No pigs....yet...coming closer daily....but deer both species, Elk, Moose and Bears, and Wolves galore....300 yard range at home...1000 yard at our hunting property....do wish we were closer too!

Would you mind if I asked what type work you do or did to make a living? Have you ever been in a job shop? Do you have any idea how threads are cut on a barrel?
Okay..I apologize...I responded to your inquiry but failed to ask what your qualifications where. Please feel free to share with us! And forgive me please for my oversight!

Okay..I apologize...I responded to your inquiry but failed to ask what your qualifications where. Please feel free to share with us! And forgive me please for my oversight!
It's at the end of post #52. Now I work for the military, rebuilding Uncle Sam's boats to help keep everyone's behinds safe. Occasionally I get to work on MK75 guns.

And I was thinking you were a plumber or a carpenter or something. 😆
So now I'm curious...how many barrels have you built for your rifles?
As side note......people that think ammo is expensive should look at the casings coming out of that gun and imagine what they cost and how much powder is burned per shot. I'm not allowed to say exactly, but depending on the type of round that is being used, the cheap ones, every time it goes bang, think, the most expensive Nightforce scope, nightforce scope, nightforce scope....kind of gives you an idea.

Last edited:
It's at the end of post #52. Now I work for the military, rebuilding Uncle Sam's boats to help keep everyone's behinds safe. Occasionally I get to work on MK75 guns.

And I was thinking you were a plumber or a carpenter or something. 😆
So now I'm curious...how many barrels have you built for your rifles?
As side note......people that think ammo is expensive should look at the casings coming out of that gun and imagine what they cost and how much powder is burned per shot. I'm not allowed to say exactly, but depending on the type of round that is being used, the cheap ones, every time it goes bang, think, the most expensive Nightforce scope, nightforce scope, nightforce scope....kind of gives you an idea.

The MK can chew up a pile of ammo in a short time for sure! And the A-10 certainly no slouch either...nothing like the sound of 30 Mike Mike! 2100 selective to 4200 rounds per min. Be safe!

D

Don't mind you asking at all, owner of 2 welding and fabricating shops building drilling rigs and vac trucks, bridges, supplying structural steel, drilled machined embed plates, moment connections etc and owner of 22,000 sq/ft MACHINE SHOP machining for the RIG builds, automation controls, indexing tables.......etc...etc. So for the job shop welders I had 85 full time men, machine shop 18, I also design build THC/ HEMP extraction facilities and install / advise on all equipment required. Oh....and I also built barges and dredges for the oil sands tailing ponds reclamation projects in Frt. McMurray. These are dredges with 24 and 36" suction lines. The barge was 140' long by 96 ' wide, 6 pumps, on deck 10 ton cranes, E- house....required 27 tractor trailer loads to transport and reassemble on site......and Yes OMG....a rifle barrel.....is.....really complex. Best to leave those to just the gunsmith that is / was a machinist first! I don't comment on things I know nothing about....you see enough of it here and everywhere!
Edit.....you or any of you that know a really busy gunsmith and are a friend....I personally know 4 here at home.....might want to ask them...how many farm out barrels to machinist friends.....just for S..ts and giggles!
That's what we call a smack-down! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

What were theses Dredges used for????

I worked as a machinist in 11th & 12 Grade full time at night and weekends for Medico Industries machining 60mm motors, 275mm rockets, 75mm recoilless rifles. Started learning how to chamber rifles from a top comp shooter in PA 1960s and up. Built Hot Rod Engines to spend all my money burning tires off the rims. Was a Marine then a Computer Engineer. Later on in life I was building Submarines for General Dynamics. Did a lot of Structural work on the Hulls for the 688s Fast Attacks, Sea Wolfs, and 726 Boomers was one of the top welders for the Nuc reactor. I was called in to do any repair work-Had a ZERO % defect rate. I can weld the crack of dawn!
Along with that have several thousand Sky Dives and SCUBA world wide. Went with the Cousteau Society on an expedition, Was an Ultra Athlete, ran hundreds of Ultra Marathons (50 mile +) did the Appalachian Trail many times (the southern parts where the mts are 6,500ft). Climbed Ranier and Denali was and still a survivalist.
Avid hunter world wide.
Oh and by the way we are animal lovers and rescue discarded/abandoned cats & dogs!

Ended up with a sever spinal cord injury for the past five years, but never shut down and keep seeking high precision shooting rifles. Worked on firearms for well over 50 years.
Now putting the finishing touches up on our Dream GS Shop for Custom Chambering and Cerakoting. Invested $$$$$ for all new State of the Art Machines/Equipment/Tooling. Won't take a job unless very good components for anything. Hunting or Competition rifles are all the same to us for the process. There is no Hunting-Competition chambering. Only one way to chamber -Perfect every time. The only difference is the materials used -Action/Barrel and how they were manufactured. Chambering is constant.
I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified to even read posts from you and a few others! Man, there's some skilled folks on these pages. I'll just sit in the firehouse and keep my pie-hole shut!

I was just thinking about people saying to take the barrel to any machine shop. Could you imagine walking into a job shop with a barrel, a reamer, a headspace gauge and an action and handing it to some machinist that isn't into guns, but could still be an excellent machinist, and saying put this together for me. What is the 1st thing you think he'd say?
Where's the blueprint? What are the tolerances? What class fit do you want on the threads? What's the tolerance on the counterbore for the bolt nose in depth and diameter? Oh you have a coned bolt...what angle is that? OH you have a Savage...how much clearance is there suppose to be from the tenon to the face of the bolt? What is the surface finish requirement? How concentric does it have to be? Oh you want the throat lengthened with that throating reamer? How much? How many shooters that aren't machinists do you think could convey that info? My point is, that's what gunsmiths do and they already know this info. And what happens when they screw your nice shiny new stainless barrel onto your expensive stainless action and gall the threads? Some food for thought.....just saying.

That's why I chose a well known GS that has a great reputation and wait in line with the many other customers. I know my limitations. Generally you get what you pay for as long as you are willing to wait.
Interesting thread with contributions from highly qualified members.

I'm pretty sure I'm not qualified to even read posts from you and a few others! Man, there's some skilled folks on these pages. I'll just sit in the firehouse and keep my pie-hole shut!

Yeah just sit there and hold your hose. 😄 Oh did I mention to not to forget to polish the knobs too? 🤣 And do it in under an hour.....since you know all about smack downs. ;)

Last edited:

Yeah just sit there and hold your hose. 😄 Oh did I mention to not to forget to polish the knobs too? 🤣 And do it in under an hour.....since you know all about smack downs. ;)
Present company excepted! 🤣🤣