Looking for a Unicorn- in KY, TN or close by.

I have been a very loyal customer of Northland Shooter's supply and the Rem/Age set-ups, for dozen's of builds between myself and those we built with shooting buddies. However, they don't stock what I am looking for for my next build. I am thinking of hiring a gunsmith to chamber in my specific cartridge, but I have not found anyone reputable and extremely skilled in chambering a precision rifle barrel, since relocating to the Nashville. The 'unicorn part' comes in with my next statement. I've got a little bit of issue with ADD when it comes to long wait times. If I bring a blank and a reamer to a 'smith, I am not willing to wait months and months to have the work done. I'm sure I'll get beat up by guys telling me that good guys are in high demand and all of that, but it doesn't change my opinion. Waiting forever for services like this takes all of the fun out of it for me. Anyone have a smith that they could recommend that does quality work and turn around in under a month?
Let us know if you find your unicorn, as I am on a 7 month wait until I get my rifle.

If you buy a lathe you will never have to wait for someone else to do it. Most average people have to wait 6 plus months in line, but money talks!
Well if you have any idea what the cost of a good lathe is along with all the tooling and components go for it to chamber you own barrels. A decent Grizzly G0824 or South Bend is about $10k after ship & tax. maybe less for a smaller lathe. Then you need to purchase all the cutting tools and measuring equipment-this will be close to what you paid for the Lathe. Oh and then you will also want a Mill - that's another $15-20K.
We started to renovate or shop last year and hitting $50K for new-equipment and still climbing!
If you think you are going to do it and have a FFL. (can't do work on firearms from the pubilc) Check out your local City/County Zoning to get a FFL. Then the Business licenses City/County/State/Fed and after you pay all the tax/license at the end of the year they (gov) want to tax you on all your equipment as property tax and if you did any work tax that.
It's a real S*** Show. You can't get a FFL unless you have a Business License. Thus all the paper work and other licenses to go along with it. If you are thinking of chambering you own barrels and making a few $$$ on the side for other people make sure you do it legally.
Just ask any GS on this forum or in your area.

I have been a very loyal customer of Northland Shooter's supply and the Rem/Age set-ups, for dozen's of builds between myself and those we built with shooting buddies. However, they don't stock what I am looking for for my next build. I am thinking of hiring a gunsmith to chamber in my specific cartridge, but I have not found anyone reputable and extremely skilled in chambering a precision rifle barrel, since relocating to the Nashville. The 'unicorn part' comes in with my next statement. I've got a little bit of issue with ADD when it comes to long wait times. If I bring a blank and a reamer to a 'smith, I am not willing to wait months and months to have the work done. I'm sure I'll get beat up by guys telling me that good guys are in high demand and all of that, but it doesn't change my opinion. Waiting forever for services like this takes all of the fun out of it for me. Anyone have a smith that they could recommend that does quality work and turn around in under a month?
Machine shop! Machine Shop! It's what they do full time...! I've never figured why folks think think only a gunsmith can do a machinists job, but a machinist can't do a gunsmiths job?

Last edited:
JR Shultz in Sevierville TN. His mobile is 423 736 8031. I believe his business name is Shultz Precision Rifles.

I can highly recommend America's Gunsmith Shop in Kenosha, WI. I have used them for many years for any number of gunsmith services. If you give them a call at 866-862-4570 and explain to them what you want they can give you an estimate of the cost as well as the turn around time.

I PM you a gunsmith I use in Clarksville TN. I didn't want to post his information here without his consent first. I've used him for 2 years on different projects, some not firearms related.

Also in Cookeville is Elemental Industries. Ian is smaller than SPR. Let him know what you want and he can give you an honest answer. Time probably has more to do with what blanks he has.
Ian Smith | Owner
Elemental Industries, LLC | Cookeville, TN
931.409.7812 | [email protected]

I serve people with my job.. if I can't do it in time I don't accept the job... if I do accept is fast done... client first... payment on the spot.. if I take a deposit... job will be done yesterday!! I agree with u... THE COVID BULL💩 not an excuse.. I never even mention it..

I PM you a gunsmith I use in Clarksville TN. I didn't want to post his information here without his consent first. I've used him for 2 years on different projects, some not firearms related.
I'm not too far from there could you PM the information as well

If you buy a lathe you will never have to wait for someone else to do it. Most average people have to wait 6 plus months in line, but money talks!
I guess not everyone knows hot to use a lathe for that kind of job.. I guess based on your advice . u have a lathe..... why you don't help him out? few beers a coffe.. couple of days togheter. and a NEW FRIEND..!! WHAT DO U THINK? WILL BE GRAT... NO?