Looking for a Smith

270Weatherby

I would like to put together a rifle from the pieces I have: Weatherby MK V donor rifle, proof research .277 barrel blank, McMillan stock, timney trigger. I would like it cambered in .270 WBY.
Any quality gunsmiths that you guys could recommend? Sent a few emails out waiting to hear back.

lilharcher

JR Shultz @ Shultz Precision Machine Just put together a rifle for me in about 30 days......his reviews are stellar and the rifle he did for me exceeded my expectations (in a fraction of the time it takes most other smiths). My build was a new Muzzleloader, but he is a rifle guy. You can see details of my build in the Muzzleloader section.

Rich Coyle

Here is my 'smith's info. He is near Coos Bay, Oregon. Shawn and Brady Menzenberg. Home (541) 297-6500, cell (541) 297-6510 They are 2 3/4 hours one way from where I live.

Idaho Lefty

I would like to put together a rifle from the pieces I have: Weatherby MK V donor rifle, proof research .277 barrel blank, McMillan stock, timney trigger. I would like it cambered in .270 WBY.
Any quality gunsmiths that you guys could recommend? Sent a few emails out waiting to hear back.
The Factory triggers are fine if modified by a good "Smith" I've had 2 weatherby MK-5's one in .270 Wby Mag another, I customized to a .338 Win Mag. with a 25" Douglas Premium Barrel that shot "Clover leaf's". Here's MY thought, why not chamber your New Barrel to .270 WSM ? The WSM's have 35* shoulders, NO belts, about the same Velocity, thick Brass mfg by several makers and I believe the WSM cartridge is more accurate than the Wby. AGAIN,..just a thought ! The .270 WSM would be my choice of the 3 factory, .270's on the market, today ! You might ask your new Smith's opinion.

JJMoody

Weatherby site has a step by step on replacing the trigger spring and doing a polish job. Mine turned out great. Side by side with a very nice Jewel, I can't tell the difference

Idaho Lefty

The .270 WSM will produce, 3,150 - 3,200 FPS in, a 24 inch barrel with, a 140 Nosler AccuBond and RL-26 can get up to 3,300 FPS with 140 Berger Classic Hunter ( the Berger, has a shorter Bearing surface than, Nosler, AB's, BT's and Part's)
Give it a "thought", if you have a 1-10 twist !

Last edited:

jjmp

True Idaho lefty but the op mite be vested in his 270 (BEE) Weatherby magnum , ps my 270 wsm has a 24 bbl ....But with a new 8 or 9 twist & 26 bbl I think it could hang rite with the 270 Roy , ps I get yur speeds now with mine and haven't tried the 140 B/vld........ Op did you fine yur smith ? Thks

jjmp

Ok good on you Kevin's built three tac/drivers all on Left hand BDL /Rem 700 actions for a great friend of mine ! Thks keep us posted .

JJMoody

Been in the same dilemma with my 340 wby. Newer better sexier yadda yadda is readily available, but with a Factory pencil barrel, plastic stock, belted magnum, reworked trigger, 400 cases, dies, sends out a 250smk at 3000fps. Having a hard time justifying a change. It freaking kills stuff too!

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.