Looking for a crisp view spotting scope for 1-1.5k yards

chasebanksdc

Looking for some good feedback on some of the larger objective spotting scopes out. I am in the market for a new spotter and have narrowed search to NF TS-82 and Swaro ATX. 2 questions: First...Anyone had a visual comparison to these 2 models side by side, if so feedback is greatly appreciated. Second...also I hear great things from some guys about Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85, reason I bring it up is because it is much of a lower price point from the NF and more half as much from the Swaro. Can it be anywhere close? I know a lot of you might say go to your local dealer and check them out but hard to make objective decision looking across someone's store or shop.

Thanks

Tough to find a dealer with enough high end spotters to make side by side realistic.

I like my Swarovski. I haven't had a side by side with NightForce or Vortex, but everyone that's crawled behind it liked it. It's the best I've looked through.

I have the ATX 65 and can't say enough good things about it.

I know this is apples to oranges, but the only side by side comparison I've done with it was next to a buddies Kowa 20-60x88mm

Both scopes performed phenomenally all day. 60 power comparison tied through and through; crispness, edge to edge clarity, field of view and so on. Magnification of the two matched perfectly according to the human eye.
The Kowa did however hold better visibility once full dusk set in. The Swaro was still usable, but the Kowa was preferred for the last 10 minutes until pitch black dark. Now remember that's with it's 88mm objective. I think that made my smaller and lighter Swaro shine in it's own right. There's no doubt in my mind that the Swaro ATX 85mm would hold it's own against the 88mm Kowa, maybe even outperform it. And the 95mm Swaro would outperform no questions asked.

Of the spotters you've listed, they're all top end glass. They're all going to look flawless to you, which they nearly are. You'll never be saddened by their performance alone.

Remember side by side comparisons only point out what could otherwise be considered negligible if you were looking through a lone scope. Side by sides are done just to find a foot more field of view, a half ounce less weight, or 90 seconds longer of light gathering ability. But here on LRH we tend to be optical buffs, so I'll give this ego minded answer: I think the Swaro would be the most likely to win all side by side "battles", or at worst it would tie. Ounce for ounce, millimeter for millimeter, It will not be beat.

If your going to spend the money get a Kowa Prominar TSN 88. Ive read its the best there is. Ive put the vortex side by side with my Swaro ATS 80HD and it was real hard to find a difference. The only reason why I dont have the vortex is that I love my wide angle zoom eyepiece for my swaro. Looking through anything else seems like your looking through a key hole. Kowa also makes a wide angle zoom eye piece.

Thanks guys that's a what I was hoping to hear….but one more thing I meant to add. Anyone else besides vortex with a quality ranging reticle?

if ranging reticle is on your mind vortex is a no brainer. Great spotter, great price, great glass, great dual focus knob, great eyepieces, amazing warranty.

Meopta is incredible also, Cabelas is having them build their custom Spotters. They build the NF also. I have a 20x60 x 65 Meopta HD, I love it, light enough to pack, bright enough to go where many dont. Their new ones are amazing and so are Cabelas by Meopta. They are the one of the oldest and are the largest optics manf in Europe. Ive looked through most all brands at long range shoots.

I've compared my Vortex Razor and a Swaro HD side by side a number of times. When the light is good, it's awfully hard to see a difference. But in the last minutes of light, Swarovski for sure wins. If you're gonna be packing it, the Vortex is heavy too. I'm a fan, and have several Vortex Razor optics, but it's not exactly apples to apples IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.