Looking for a concentricity gauge

akhunter

Hey Folks,
I'm looking to buy a concentricity gauge to add to the loading bench. I'm not a match shooter so I'm not dealing with tight fitting chambers and turned necks. I do however load to the best possible accuracy I can get from my guns and spend quite a bit of time at the range working on load development. I may start turning necks to at least even the thickness of the necks making checking for concentricity possible after seating bullets. I've seen several advertised that do many jobs from measuring wall thickness to checking necks after seating bullets. I'm wondering if there's an all around gage that either does it all or is the best compromise of what's practical for what I will use it for. Thanks for any input you guys may have.
Phil in Anchorage!

I have a sinclair concentricity guage,and it works really well.If you want a guage that will do more than just check for runout,look at the Neco guage,I know Sinclair's use to sell them.

For the money, you can't beat the Sinclair with the low priced dial indicator. If you want a top tool, NECO is it but it's pricey.

The RCBS kit is .... well,... ok, I guess, certainly better than nothing, but a bit rough in its functions.

Thanks for the replies guys. I can't seem to get a price on the Neco tool, and when I call the number it goes to voice mail. Can you tell me what pricey is?

Phil in Alaska

I use the RCBS, and also use the other features such as neck thickness and check for thinout near the base. I dont know what functions roughly, but maybe my eyes have not been opened to those.

Cool, I had the web address saved for that one and was wondering if it woulld come up in the discussion. I do like the idea of fixing the the round that are off.

Phil

I like the option of straightening them instead of pulling bullets and trying to straighten out the case. I realize that the loading process will need to be fixed (do it right the first time), but this is a nice option to have. The price isn't that bad for all that it offers.

Thanks for the input guys and the patients as well. I see there are quiet a few other threds on the subject that I have been going through. Thanks again!
Phil

I'm also looking for a concentricty gauge. I was looking at the Forster gauge as well as Sinclair. Forster's about $30 less than Sinclair. Anyone have any experience using the Forster?

What you are really doing with a run-out gauge is checking the capability of your reloading process: are the tools and technique adequate? If you are not shooting match, simply rolling your loaded rounds across a flat surface (glass) will suffice. Any wobble will tell if your rounds are over 0.002". If you can't see wobble, you're good to go. Rolling your sized brass will tell you if the necks are true.

The best tool for checking case-neck variation is a ball mic; cheap ones are available and will do fine for your purpose.

If you have to have a run-out gauge, the Sinclair "spinner thingy" is the most popular and easiest to use. Redding has a case neck gauge that uses a dial indicator (as does the Sinclair "spinner"). Recognize that if you get both, you need only one dial indicator. The case neck gauge is faster than the micrometer, but less accurate. If you're sorting all of your brass, it's convenient.

In the end, you're checking to see how good your brass (or sizing die) is and if your seating die is doing its job properly. To what extent is it necessary to go to in order to make these determinations? And since you're not turning case necks, all the case neck gauge (or ball micrometer) will tell you is if the brass you bought is up to snuff.

Haven't heard much good about either the RCBS or Forster run-out gauges. The NECO is expensive and has involved set-up, but is excellent otherwise.

Last edited:
I use the RCBS model. It meets my needs, and I'm pretty finicky. From your initial description of what you're looking for, I believe the RCBS model would be completely satisfactory.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.