Looking for a case trimmer to attach to a drill or motor but not crazy expensive

Bigeclipse

I currently have an extremely old RCBS case trimmer. It works but it stinks when needing to do higher volumes of brass for both pistol and rifle. I have been looking at the RCBS trim pro 2 to use with a cordless screw driver attachment. Thoughts on this? Other options I should look into? I would like to try to keep budget below 150$. Thanks!

I bought a drill adapter for my really old habd crank RCBS trimmer.
D8496CC4-5A46-4C1F-A14F-6C98C2788851.jpeg

I second the WFT, affordable and works well. There's also the Trim-it 2 and Giraud Tri-Way trimmer both are in the 100 dollar ballpark. All three can be chucked up in a drill and require no shell holders to use.

I use a Lyman E-Z trim. Easy and fast, and cheap. They don't make pilots for every cartridge, but many can be adapted. I use a pilot for a .338 Winchester Magnum for my .338 Norma Magnum, and the 6.5 creed pilot for my .260 AI, I just set the pilot out a little bit, and so on. There may be better ones, but that is just what I have used.

this is ergonomically easier to operate than the lee choice in my opinion .. i have the worlds finest trimmer ( worth the money ) ... but i used the lyman for 2-3k trims ... careful though, too fast and you will dull the bit rather quick

comparing the lee and lyman versions
lee will have amost every pilot availble on most shelfs at the big chain stores , the lyman wont have pilots at those stores .. unless you buy a whole new rifle kit (25$) only has standard calibers but 223 will be in that kit and youll get a new cutter ... so not too bad

ergonomics// on the lee the rim clamp attached to the drill , while the lyman , has the pilot side attached to the drill ... you will find that you have to pick up the drill and put it down too much with the lee option ... because the clamping force varies between the cases

try and find a drill that has variable speed control with "on" lock

Last edited:
I bought the Lyman "orange" trimer that has both hand crank and drill attachment shafts at a really good sale price from Midway a few years ago. This is the trimmer that you do not need shell holders to use. You just stick the case in a collet and pull a little leaver and it grabs the base of the case. I wore out one of the cheaper Lyman trimers that I bought the drill attachment shaft to replace the hand crank one that I used for about 25 years.

I mounted my trimmer onto a piece of composite decking board and I can C-clamp this board to my loading bench. I then stack up two of the plastic cartridge trays that come in factory 9mm ammo boxes on top of a piece of 2x4 wood. I place my hand drill on it's side with the handle with trigger facing me on top of the stack and tighten the trimmer shaft end in the chuck of the drill. This stack supports the drill and does not put much if any downward force on the shaft and the plastic of the trays, bottom side up, allows the drill to slide back and forth smoothly. I pull the drill trigger with my thumb and control the drill movement back and forth with no strain on my hand grasping the drill handle.

I have the World's Finest Trimmer for my Creedmoor brass and it is a very nice unit. For high volume work though I'd invest in a Lyman case prep center with the adapted Lee case trimmer system. Works fantastic for my 223 brass prep as you can trim, deburr and chamfer all without letting go of the case. Should be able to get set up to trim 3 or 4 different cases for right around $150

I use a Lyman E-Z trim. Easy and fast, and cheap. They don't make pilots for every cartridge, but many can be adapted. I use a pilot for a .338 Winchester Magnum for my .338 Norma Magnum, and the 6.5 creed pilot for my .260 AI, I just set the pilot out a little bit, and so on. There may be better ones, but that is just what I have used.

if i could like this twice i would , for 25 bucks you cant beat it

if you go to option and pick additional rifle pilots , then you can pic a caliber from the next drop down list

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.