Anyone convert a Frankford trimmer/case prep center to accept a Giraud Tri-way or Little Crow Gunworks trimmer?

giannid

Not a fan of the trimmer this unit comes with as it never seems like it's precise enough. Starting fiddling with it and was hoping to mount a drill chuck to it so I can run a Giraud or Gunworks trimmer on it. Seems like it would be the perfect setup where I could trim, inside and outside chamfer all in the same step. Not sure of the thread size on the cutting head but figure there has to be a way to adapt it to mount a regular drill chuck on it. Anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_3223.jpg
    IMG_3223.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3224.jpg
    IMG_3224.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 36
I've been using a F A trim and prep center like that and have not had any negative issues with it.One thing it has taught me is,I can tell when brass is getting hard and it needs to be annealed.The trimmer works great when the brass is soft,but once it starts getting hard,you can hear it when trimming and often start getting chatter too.It takes a little more time to trim the brass when it's hard.Another thing I do is,I full length resize my brass,then I trim,deburr,chamfer and clean the primer pockets.After that I put them in the tumbler to clean them up and remove any lube.Once I have my trimmer set for the cartridge I'm loading,I quit measuring each individual case.I just make the trimming a part of my case prep everytime after resizing the brass.Doing it this way trimming after each time it's fired and resized,is very minimal,more like just a touch up and keeps all your brass at a consistent length.Another thing that helps is,keep your brass segregated by the number of times fired.I write on each case with a sharpie to keep track of that.I now work with smaller batches of brass as opposed to a bunch of random mixture of brass of unknown firing,brass hardness and lengths.It just makes things better in the long run and if I start seeing multiple cases showing any signs of case failure,I know it's time to get rid of that brass.

I'm not sure what kind of RPM the FA unit runs at. I like to run my Giraud Triway at the fastest setting on my benchtop Grizzly drill press. I've tried running it slower but the highest speed gives the quickest and also the smoothest cut. No shell holder needed when running at high speed. I just hold the cases with my fingers. I've done many thousands of rounds this way. I would guess an average of 2-3 seconds per case with the drill press running full speed(3100 rpm) for trim, chamfer and debur.

Last edited: