Giraud trimmer

TackDriv3r

How well do you like your Giraud trimmer? I got one on the way. Wondering how you guys get your first case trim length set up very close to the last trim after changing different caliber case holders and blades?

Would saving a labeled case from the last trim that is set to the correct length be used as a guide to set up your trim length in the future? Saving a trimmed / labeled case for each caliber may work?

Just trying to find a solution to setting up the trim length without screwing up brass by cutting them too short.

I really like mine. It's hard to describe, but after you've done it a few times it's not a big deal. The thing that takes a few tries is getting chamfers correct on both the inside and outside at the same time.

Awesome tool. Very consistent case to case length. Did u order a separate cutter head and blade for each caliber? If so, you shouldn't have to adjust for length after changing calibers. One trick I read about that really helps is to replace the case holder locking nut with a reloading die lock ring.

I did not order any extra heads. I load for a lot of calibers that are plinking only so the brass is so-so like milsurp. I find myself readjusting often anyway as result.

Awesome tool. Very consistent case to case length. Did u order a separate cutter head and blade for each caliber? If so, you shouldn't have to adjust for length after changing calibers. One trick I read about that really helps is to replace the case holder locking nut with a reloading die lock ring.
Yes, i did order extra cutting heads / blades for extra calibers and individual case holders with its own locking rings.

I really like mine. It's hard to describe, but after you've done it a few times it's not a big deal. The thing that takes a few tries is getting chamfers correct on both the inside and outside at the same time.
Would you be so kind to explain about chamfers correcting inside and outside at the same time, I did not get you there.

Yes, i did order extra cutting heads / blades for extra calibers and individual case holders with its own locking rings.
Re locking rings, the Giraud case holder comes w/a nut that screws onto the case holder and tightens against the trimmer body to hold the case holder in place. If you remove a case holder to change calibers, the nut gets moved on the case holder. I replace the nut w/a reloading die lock ring so I can lock the ring onto the case holder. That way when I remove the case holder, the setting remains fixed.

Re locking rings, the Giraud case holder comes w/a nut that screws onto the case holder and tightens against the trimmer body to hold the case holder in place. If you remove a case holder to change calibers, the nut gets moved on the case holder. I replace the nut w/a reloading die lock ring so I can lock the ring onto the case holder. That way when I remove the case holder, the setting remains fixed.
Yep, sorry if I did not phrase it correctly, I did order the Hornady locking rings for each individual case holder.

Would you be so kind to explain about chamfers correcting inside and outside at the same time, I did not get you there.
Since you are doing the inside and outside at the same time it usually takes a few tries to get the cutter centered on the edge of the neck.

It is the Cadillac of trimmers. I love mine and use it while sitting in front of the TV. Most recently, I trimmed/dechamfered 3k M1 Carbine brass in only a few hours. Easy-peasy.

None better !!! All my cutter/blades came with a properly sized and trimmed case. But it is easy to find the "sweet" spot , taking off just enough to make correct case length. I
m sure you tube has some vid's of the whole process

ENJOY !!!

When I first started to reload my wife did the chamfer and debur steps while I trimmed the brass then I bought a Giraud ..... after she saw how easy it was she told me to buy another!! For setting up my trimmer I use the Hornady die lock ring place, it on the case holder, insert a piece of brass that is long, screw the die down till the brass just touches the blade, then screw down the lock ring and make a mark on the case holder with a permanent marker lining up with one of the lines on top of the trimmer, then turn on the trimmer trimming the piece of brass, next measure brass and if it need more turn to middle of lines on top of trimmer. If I remember correctly half way between the next line is like .0005 or maybe .001. As for a holder I used a fishing tackle box for awhile before I made an aluminum holding block for all of them.

Just got the Giraud at last, before I even started to trim anything, I wanted to get familiar with it, so I started to measure the shoulder bump and trim length on the supplied .308 case ( cutter and holder already set from Giraud) and the shoulder bump is spot on as my Lapua sized brass but the trim length is off by .020" on the supplied case and I assume the cutter is too deep so I decided to order the lock rings first before I even fool with it. I guess I can start trimming on Christmas Eve.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts