Looking for a bullet

klemm

I have two factory Remington 700s. I believe they are one in 10 twist, I am looking for a bullet suggestion for a 7 MM -08 and 243. Not exactly long-range rifles, and not the desired twist rate to shoot to heavys what would be a good bullet type and weight. I'd like to get out to at least 600 yards, maybe more if the bullet will stabilize. I plan on shooting Whitetail deer, Coyotes and groundhogs. Any suggestions

If the better BC bullets are off the table, then velocity is your best friend. I'd look close at the 70 grain Hammer Hunter for the .243. 3500 fps looks achievable.

In the 7-08 I'd look to the 131 Hammer Hunter, you might get to 3200 fps.

I didn't run the math, but 1800 fps terminal velocity will be the best indicator for how far.

Something more fragile to avoid skipping might be indicated for ground hog. The 6mm BlitzKings 70 grains have worked well for me. Makes a good coyote round as well.

I have two factory Remington 700s. I believe they are one in 10 twist, I am looking for a bullet suggestion for a 7 MM -08 and 243. Not exactly long-range rifles, and not the desired twist rate to shoot to heavys what would be a good bullet type and weight. I'd like to get out to at least 600 yards, maybe more if the bullet will stabilize. I plan on shooting Whitetail deer, Coyotes and groundhogs. Any suggestions

I think your going to be in the 1/9 twist range with Rem rifles. The 7-08 should handle VLD and I live 7000ft here in Co so Berger 105gr VLD won't work in my 243. Only problem with Berger twist calculator is if you have to guess at velocity vs shooting that bullet. I shoot Berger 95gr Classic in 243.

Berger also has this
https://bergerbullets.com/ballistics-calculator/

R700 in 7-08 is a factory 1:10" twist. I would shoot a 150-160.

R700 in .243 is a factory 1:9" twist. I would shoot an 80-90.

Hmmmm...interesting. Sitting in my sniper stand right now watching a clover plot for whistle pigs with my Cooper Custom Classic in .243. I've got it loaded with an 85 grain HPBT Gameking on 42 grains of IMR 4350. Got .25 MOA with it out to 200 but with a BC of .311 don't think it will fit the OP's bill. I'm about 220 away. Anyway, I also load this rifle with 90 grain Nosler BTs and they shoot really well. They are a deer bullet but they're cheap so I don't mind using them dual purpose. Much bettter stuff out there but just my .02 cents.

A bullet I've had great success with in my 7mm/08 is the 145 gr Speer SBT, and if your twist , which I believe is 1/9.25, will handle the 145 Barnes LRX it should give you good results.

Personally I'd set up the 7-08 with a Berger 168 or 175 for the longer range stuff and run a 70 grain V-max in the 243 for coyotes and whistle pigs at short to mid range. I shoot the 70 grain v-max out of my cooper 243 and it shoots very tight and hammers varmints

In the 10 twist 243 (I have one as well) id recommend the speer 100 grain boat tail softpoint. Ugly little things but dang they shoot! Very thin jackets, not shoulder busters or end to end penetrators. I've also contacted Sierra and they confirm the new-ish 90 grain gamechanger stabilizes in 10 twist. Bc is .480, should be able to get it to 3200 fps. Actually a bit of a game changer unlike all the other projectiles in that family. Many folks have reported good results with the hornady 105 bthp in the 10 as well.

Have used with good success Berger 87 gr vld's & Nos 95 gr ballistic tips in front of H4350 and fed GM210M out of my 243 sps and tikka's, both sub Moa results, have 2 7-08's and they both do well on the hornady 162 gr eld's and varget, fed GM210M's also buck the wind great at the longer distances, tikka's and Winchester there, don't have a remmy in that one but they both do well on that combination, good luck with your efforts

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.