Long range solo

Ksmirk

Hey fella's just a question for you, how many of you shoot long range solo? I had a buddy that him and I shot all the time then like most things he moved away so it's been a bit difficult to find someone around here that has a clue what long range is and what needs to be done for spotting and the other goodies not to mention the trust factor. I'm tired of waiting and looking for another partner to shoot with so I'm thinking about just going it solo but I was wondering how many here were doing the same thing? I'm not fishin for a shooting partner just wondering how much more difficult it was for you. Later,

Kirk

Sorry forgot to put on my OD socks! don't be mad :)

Last edited:
I shoot alone some of the time, You just need to rig your targets up where you can see impacts even if you miss. There are a few guys on here from your area I am sure you could shoot with them sometimes. If your ever down my way I will shoot with you.

As my time is my own and most others are on some kind of a fixed schedule I do most of my drop chart development, etc solo.

Thus I'm not constrained by other's time/availability etc. Plus the communications problems are less;) Ya know, "the other left".

Spoting shots isn't too difficult as I only shot a two or maybe a 3 shot group out to 1200 yds and they leave holes in the paper.

I was recently counseled to quit shooting at gongs and being satisfied with just hitting it. Now I put the target in front of the gong and get the satisfaction of the thwack plus the group size.

For the same reasons my long range hunting, this winter is solo also. My goal is to be set up so that I can spot every shot myself. So far, so good.

I have no problem practicing long range alone, though it is nice to have someone watching the bullet trace and looking for impact splash. As for long range hunting alone i have done it but it is signifcantly harder. Having someone there to help glass for game and someone to be giving you constant ranges sure makes things a heck of a lot easier.

steve

I do all of my long range hunting and practicing on my own. The main reason is the guys I hunt with think it is unethical to take a shot over 400 yards. But I have watched them try to sneek up on deer and have watched the deer run away. Plus, they do not put the time and money into good equipent to me able to make these shots.

SES50

I have done a fair amount of LRH solo and even gotton film of it but it is 10x more difficult to do solo. Few things beat having a good hunting partner. Some sitiuatiuons it makes the difference between getting a shot and not.

Finding a good spotter is tough..I shoot alone quite often. I think its much easier to practice with a low recoiling rifle, allowing you to see you bullet trail and watch hits. When checking drop charts I use BIG target at least 3'x3' or bigger if I can find it. I also am going to start using those shoot'n'see targets at longer ranges. I have a 30''x30" steel plate that weighs 90lbs :eek: and can see bullet splats at 1000 yards on good days.

I get along with myself just fine,too. ;)

Well thanks for the imput guys! now I just need to find a place close to home to get some trigger time in, THAT is going to be the hardest part! it would be nice to have a place to shoot closer to home but I didn't grow up around here and I don't know enough farmers I tried to find a place to lease just for shooting but not much luck there either knocked on some doors and while the people were real friendly someone before me screwed it up and left the gate open or left a mess of trash on thier place and I don't blame them for not letting someone they don't know on their place. I'll be making a trip back home this coming weekend so I'll have to go visit some old friends, an hour drive is a heck of a lot better than 2 1/2.

royinidaho, do I know what you mean but it seems I'm the one with the crazy schedule not near enough time seems like everyone just keeps running out of time.

mikebob, hey I used to hunt up there close to you! BIG deer and it could get COLD quick. The ex's family was over by Fargo and she had a cousin that lived in Lavern crap what was his name heck I can't remember I just remember I was in hog heaven with the yote calling up there, I belive just West of his place their was a farmer that had a mess of sheep and calling out there was almost too easy. Thanks for the offer!

Most of my practice and hunting is done alone. Sometimes I set the video camera up so it shoots over my shoulder set @ 20X. I watch it later and this helps show some errant shots, or a missed wind change, bullet trace is often visable.

I practice alone in Michigan and in Colorado. I wish I had a spotter that was as into it as I am. I hunt alone but it toois getting old for me. I am just about ready to book an elk hunt and my friends all said no. They were all yes's until it was time to send a deposit though

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts