Long range shooters , seeing my heart beat in the scope

How much movement are you seeing? I see quite a bit of movement with my breathing but the movement from the heartbeat is pretty small - maybe a 1/8 moa.

You might try timing the release of your shot on the pause in the heartbeat.

While this can be different for each persons physical make up, especially if excited or nervous, it can generally be controlled by breathing and relaxing when preparing for the shot. Also when prone, make sure your chest is off the ground.

If this happens when shooting off of a bench especially a a wooden bench make sure your chest is not touching the bench.
Drags

Heart beat is a fact of life.

Managing heart beat impact in shooting has been discussed in many books and I'm not expert.

Hoever

• If you are using a wooden bench, as was said, keep your chest off it.
  • Shoot prone if you can. Prone is good.
  • Time your trigger trip. If you can get a real feel for when your trigger will break. Break between heart beats while the rifle+bench+you are still.
  • Dial down your magnification.

Heart beat is a fact of life.

Managing heart beat impact in shooting has been discussed in many books and I'm not expert.

Hoever

• If you are using a wooden bench, as was said, keep your chest off it.
  • Shoot prone if you can. Prone is good.
  • Time your trigger trip. If you can get a real feel for when your trigger will break. Break between heart beats while the rifle+bench+you are still.
  • Dial down your magnification.

I don't see how reducing magnification helps with this. It may make it appear that the reticle is more still but your heartbeat is still moving the reticle on the target. I prefer to dial up all the way so I can see the POA moving. Then I can settle the reticle down w/ breath control.

How do I stop it , driving me nuts ! And stopping my heart isn't a option! Lol

You don't stop it! :D

It's God's reminder that you're still alive and excited to harvest one of his best creations for a mighty fine table fest. If you no longer feel that excitement, it's time to hang it up. :rolleyes:

I agree with all of the recommendations above. Many years ago, my buddies and I used to practice by doing 10 push ups to simulate buck fever and then try shooting prone and see how well we can find the right rhythm before pulling the trigger.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting. Cheers!

Ed

Try some MTN OPS Euro and Blaze. Works for me. I hiked in a mile with sligh up grade trying to keep up with 30 yr olds right before I took the bear at 1702 yards. My heart rate was low and no movement in scope prone. Not to mention my focus on the task at hand, even with 5 on lookers, was awesome.

Jeff

Try some MTN OPS Euro and Blaze. Works for me. I hiked in a mile with sligh up grade trying to keep up with 30 yr olds right before I took the bear at 1702 yards. My heart rate was low and no movement in scope prone. Not to mention my focus on the task at hand, even with 5 on lookers, was awesome.

Jeff

Jeff,

I started using the Enduro when I read your post on another forum and my heart rate is between 10-15 points lower throughout my work out cycle. I'm only on my first container but I think I will be using it more this season. My local Scheel's sells them now too.

Might have to try the blaze too!

Ed

Shooting Prone with high power scopes is normally where it is worse because your belly is on the ground and this causes your diaphragm to react to your heart beat and move you up and down in time with your heart beat.

As suggested, lower power will at least minimize the appearance of movement, Sometimes this
lets you concentrate on trigger control and not so much on your heart beat and in some cases shoot better.

When I shot prone matches I found out that if I did not eat until after the match, I had better scores. (Your heart beats faster and harder when trying to digest food) Also once I figured out the wind and mirage if shooting a match where scopes were allowed, I lowered the power of the scope where all of these problems didn't seem to bad and just concentrated on hold and trigger control. It will mess with your mind if you let it. As stated you can calm it to some extent but you cant stop it.

The other way that helped was to start squeezing just after you heart beat, and hopefully the trigger would break before the next heart beat. You have to practice this or you will end up punching the trigger and we all know where that leads.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with the lower magnification.
Seeing the crosshairs move is doing more for your stress and shot impact than it actually moving.

Not only eating like JE said , but what you eat. Heavy things like pasta , not so good. You guys should really try the MTM Ops Enduro. Lasts 20 hours. If you are seeing differences after meals, I would bet you will see the difference MTN OPS makes. Especially on a spot and stalk.

Jeff

Broz,

Just found a dealer near me and I will be calling them tomorrow. Do you take the Blaze Capsules or drink? How long before you notice a difference? Hopefully it will help.

As been mentioned try shooting prone. It can help, especially when you have a really good natural point of aim (npa). I've always been told that you are more stable the closest too the ground you are. That may be a good general rule but not everyone is built the same. I like to get up a little and then load the bipod. If you have good npa then though you still see a slight pulse in the reticle it will settle back on target between beats. That is what you hear about when Snipers learning to shoot between heartbeats. Nothing special, just a little not-so-common sense.:D

I will say to turn the power downed as mentioned. Besides not being a big power guy myself, it will also make the reticle appear to not move as much (that gets magnified too). You may not be any more steady but it seems like you are and makes it less frustrating.

Another thing previously stated is knowing your trigger. I hear people say with a good trigger squeeze the rifle should "surprise" you when it goes off. Not me, I've dry fired so much I know when my rifle will fire...when I want it to.

Before you get on the trigger, close your eyes and take a couple deep breaths. This will get you plenty of oxygen in your blood. Then exhale accordingly and get on your sight-line it up on target-and get on the trigger. It doesn't take long for vision to go south and your muscles to shake. If you hold your breath too long your heart rate can increase to try to get more oxygen circulating. If you can't get on target quick enough then don't try to muscle it too much. Just stop and recock yourself, then try it again.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.