Long range rest.

ETP

Does anyone use a. Surveyers type tripod with a rifle rest for long range hunting? If so could u post pics? Thinking it would be a nice way to set up in some places, but open to other suggestions. Let me know what you use.!!!

You could use one but it's not going to give you enough stability for long range shooting without something else on the butt end to help you as well.

Primo's trigger sticks Tripod II is built along the same lines and I'm going to get one for hunting but without a monopod or something similar on the butt end 400yds is about it and I can shoot that far off of a fence post or tree, in fact if I can put my shoulder up against the tree I'll be steadier than I would be with just a tripod and nothing to help on the other end.

I found that thread and the only pics i can see are the last two with deer in the rocks

Gunwerks did a vid about LR rests. I assume you are thinking about taller rests for brush etc. what seems to work for me is a rest that supports the rifle just under the action area. I can anchor the rifle a little better and put some down force on the scope.
If not I need to support the rear to be steady for LR shots. In that case a set of sticks with rear stick and down force works ok for LR mountain shooting.

I have a nice seat up that I made from a camera type heavy duty tripod and another rest I had combined. I use it for antelope or rig type spots,with portable 3 leg pack stool. The main tube is spring loaded and I mean shoots right up, ther is a gear crank for angle and upper rest has arm for manual angle,units swivels.You have to load rest as there is some play in unit, but very little. I do not have good picture at this time but will try to find one. There are some guys on here that have set ups like this that do some very serious long range work, think they are Penn. guys. Ill try to get better pict.

Attachments

• P1310019.jpg
    P1310019.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 55
6x6 i hope these guys show off there rests. Im in penn. to so im looking to see what everyone uses. Your system looks like it works well from just what i can see! Ill deff take more pics if you have them ! Thanks fella

Here are two that we use, Just use a tripod with sandbag in rear

Attachments

• IMG002.jpg
    IMG002.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG003.jpg
    IMG003.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 41
  • FH000005.jpg
    FH000005.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 59
  • FH000007.jpg
    FH000007.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 65
The caldwell rest is exactly what im thinking just a little more heavy duty homemade version. I think it can br improved upon .... would be nice if it would work for sitting and standing positions....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.