Long range handguns

The Trinity Kid

Greetings all,

So, I'm thinking about getting into long(ish) range pistol shooting. My local gun club has shoots at the 70-100 yard range, generally involving milk jugs set up at varying distances, and a certain number of cartridges available. In these " cold turkey" shoots, as they're affectionately called, there is a class for 9mm autos. I don't have a 9mm right now, but I'm working on it.

So my question is, what 9mm auto would you all suggest for extended targets? I was thinking either a Glock 19, or a Beretta 92, just because I can afford the suckers, but I'm open to(rather lowly priced) suggestions.

I already have a cheap, 1911, but it's not really useable for this. The GI sights are integral, and 45 is going for almost 80¢ a round here in Californee, which makes it too expensive to practice enough with. (On a side note, I am trying to sell/trade this gun, if anyone is interested.)

Anyway, thanks for the help.

--TK

For that kind of shooting , I would recommend a single shot contender or Encore for the longer barrel., and site radius If it is not a rapid fire event.

They are very accurate at distances up to 4 or 500 yards with the right ammo and up to 200- yards with pistol ammo. (They are also a lot of fun).

Just a though

J E CUSTOM

Greetings all,

Thanks for the replies! Sorry about the briefness of my description of the competition last night, but my computer was updating and it took me twenty minutes to write that on my Kindle...

Anyway, here is a more detailed description.

First, there are (generally) ten targets. They are frequently milk jugs in friendly matches, though they are NRA 50 yard bullseye targets for the biannual shoot. For the class I want to enter, you have a 9mm "duty" gun. This means full-size, factory, auto pistol. The only upgrades they can have are night sights, and more comfortable grips.
You have ten rounds (Welcome to California). the ten targets are set up at random distances, from 2yards, out as far as the range goes. The more you hit, the higher your score. And in the bigger matches, you get actual scores from the bullseye. the rules are, you have to hit the targets in order, from closest to farthest. If you miss, you shoot at the target again, and lose your chance at the farther targets.

I know it sounds like it was set up by a teenager (it probably was :rolleyes: ), but it looks quite fun.

If/when I get around to shooting it, I'll post a video.

Anyway, back to the question at hand, does anybody have any experience shooting 9mm's at 100 yards? and if so, how did you do/what did you do it with?

--TK

I would look at the glock 34. I have shot my longslide 10mm alot at 100 yards and it is very capable. Haven't tried 9mm but if your opportunity came up and I needed to pick a 9mm, that's what I would get. Sounds fun, good luck.

I play around with 10" steel at 50 and 100 yards with my medium sized Glock 19. No problem connecting if I do my part. Only modification is the Meprolight F/R sights. I'd go the Glock 17 full size for your competition.

Hello all,

I'm seeing a general leaning toward Glock. That is interesting. Do you all find the "Safe-action" trigger to be more conducive to accuracy than, say, the single action pull on the Beretta? I've never had any experience with either pistol (it's a little difficult to try these handguns when most of the people I know have Sig Sauers), but it just seems like a SA trigger would be better. I know my 1911 (if it had better sights) has the potential to be really accurate. The second time I was able to take it out, I put 100 rounds through it (also known as ~$80 worth of ammo), and was to the point where I was nailing 3 out of 5 1liter bottles at 30yards. I just don't have that sort of money to practice with.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

--TK

Hello all,

I'm seeing a general leaning toward Glock. That is interesting. Do you all find the "Safe-action" trigger to be more conducive to accuracy than, say, the single action pull on the Beretta? I've never had any experience with either pistol (it's a little difficult to try these handguns when most of the people I know have Sig Sauers), but it just seems like a SA trigger would be better. I know my 1911 (if it had better sights) has the potential to be really accurate. The second time I was able to take it out, I put 100 rounds through it (also known as ~$80 worth of ammo), and was to the point where I was nailing 3 out of 5 1liter bottles at 30yards. I just don't have that sort of money to practice with.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

--TK

The stock trigger on my Glock's while a different feel does not influence my accuracy when compared to the single action pull of my Sig or Beretta, and a definite improvement over the double action pull of these pistols for me. You just need to adapt to the two stage type feel of the trigger which is pretty much un-noticeable once
accustomed to. Additionally, like the Sig/ double action, you can reset the pull to single stage by holding the trigger to just past reset when firing this being comparable in feel to the Sig in follow up shots. Doesn't sound like your competition sport allows this mod but there are many drop in trigger upgrades for the Glock if one feels the need.

Hello all.

Well, after six months of time to think it over, i'll be picking up my Beretta tomorrow. I thought it over, and decided the Beretta was prettier.:rolleyes:

--TK

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts