Long Range Copper Bullets

I know the OP mentioned a custom 7mm Rem but he failed to mention the length and twist of the barrel. All very important info in order to give him a good bullet recommendation...

All high BC copper bullets will require faster twists.

Now if the OP is running a 1:8 twist and a 26" barrel, I would recommend the Hammer 177. IF.... he can push it at 2900fps from the barrel and uses a minimum speed of 2000 fps for the bottom terminal speed, then he will be good to 650 yards at sea level and 850 yards at 4000 feet. The more common 9 twist would likely force him to use a lighter and lower BC bullet that likely won't meet his goals for elk at 700+ yards.
I run the 143g Hammer Hunter in my 280ai at 3130 fps for out to 700y elk. The 7mag will run them about 3300 fps, depending on barrel length adding a couple hundred yards to the effective range.

I am sending my 7mmRem to Steve this week for load development.

I also discussed 143vs155 with him and he likes the 143's. I looked at the numbers and they are pretty close.....the 155 carries more ME and SD but the 143's are flatter shooting.

My twist is 1:8 so plenty stable with either

I'm still on the fence but now leaning towards the 155's for more mass.

Just picking your brain as to why you chose 143's

Hope this isn't too off topic but I think that it applies to OP's thoughts

Thanks Fellas

I run the 143g Hammer Hunter in my 280ai at 3130 fps for out to 700y elk. The 7mag will run them about 3300 fps, depending on barrel length adding a couple hundred yards to the effective range.
I am sending my 7mmRem to Steve this week for load development.

I also discussed 143vs155 with him and he likes the 143's. I looked at the numbers and they are pretty close.....the 155 carries more ME and SD but the 143's are flatter shooting.

My twist is 1:8 so plenty stable with either

I'm still on the fence but now leaning towards the 155's for more mass.

Just picking your brain as to why you chose 143's

Hope this isn't too off topic but I think that it applies to OP's thoughts

Thanks Fellas
I'm limited due to stability. I have 1:9 twist so 143 at my elevation will run best. if I was in your boat with the 1:8, I would look at the 169gr HH

I'm limited due to stability. I have 1:9 twist so 143 at my elevation will run best. if I was in your boat with the 1:8, I would look at the 169gr HH

I was thinking about the 169's but figured to split difference and go with the 155's

How do you like your 143's?

I'm afraid of earthquakes too. One plus is the bass fishing is great. They will probably regulate that too much also.
Shep
They regulate any thing and every freaking they can line there pockets with.i lived out there for a year and soon as my condo lease was up i flew that chicken coup as fast as i could.it was pretty i lived right on mission bay across from disney but that was it came back to the swamp in florida

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.