long range chuck hunting

ann brezinski

i live in pa.i was wondering if any of you shoot at 600 to 1000 yards at chucks I know a few do it up north in pa but would like to know what they are using now?
I have seen where they use the 7 mm on the 300 weatherby and the 300 Winchester mags.
gary b...

i prefer to use my 243win. with 105gr. amax and 2nd choice is my 7mm rem. mag with 162gr. amax and both are customs.
they are bad medicine for rock chucks.
i haven't gotten anything past 600 yards yet.

I have shot MANY groundhogs in central PA at ranges over 600yds. My favorite cartridge was a 22-243 shooting the 75gr A-Max bullet. Shots out to 1,000 were devastating on fat hogs.
I can't imagine using a 7 or 300 mag on groundhogs.

I have a bunch of farms in northwest PA and just across the border into NY, where we shoot groundhogs at ranges from a few hundred yards to over 2,000 yards. We spend a considerable amount of time there in the summer months. Weaponry consistes of everything from a .240 Wby mag, all the way up to a .338-408. My favorite, and most dramatic/entertaining is my lethal .30-.416 Rigby improved married with 240 gr SMK 's. It's been used to take money away from friends that have ponied up cash on called head shot bets.... Always a good time...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.