First Rock Chuck in a Long Time

KRob

Well,

I figured since the last time i logged onto here was in 2009 i better make a good new impression.

Buddy and i went rock chuck hunting which has been the first time i have done that since going into the Army...i am now out. We ended up only seeing 5 chucks...non of them survived the day.

The first one we saw, we weren't ready yet and i managed to grab the 'truck 10/22' and a mag and get out of the rig in time to shoot him, he fell off the rock face taking probably a 20ft fall bouncing twice. My buddy tagged another one a second latter with a 22-250, sadly that one got caught in a ledge and didn't take a impressive fall.

We moved on up the canyon and i finally got to blood my 6.8 SPC tagging a chuck running up a hill somewhere between 75-100 yds, i didnt think that was bad considering i am no where near as good of shot as i use to be and it was off hand on a running target.

(second Chuck, running away, probably the smallest we shot that day)

We then later both shot one chuck, two total. The one i shot was literally split in two from stem to stern by my 6.8 SPC 115 gr. Bullet went in through the chest and exited about the hind legs and belly. My Buddy a second later shot the other one in the pair vaporizing its head.

Needles to say it was a fun day.

Last edited:
Nice. Thanks for posting your story - and more importantly, thanks for your service.

What is your impression of the 6.8SPC? I've been looking but haven't pulled the trigger. . .

varmintH8R, 6.8 SPC ..... I have not grouped it, i need too, however it seems to be fairly accurate.

I built the rifle and i cant remember what all the components are in it. I originally put it together for a deer rifle and last fall i didn't see any deer, thanks to the wolves. I am planing on building a sporter mauser 6.5x55 over the next few months so it may not get used next season for deer either. That would have been the test i would want to see, how the cartridge works on a deer.

It seems to cycle fine, the recoil is next to none, it does have a loud bark to it though. I don't know, jury is still out, I am traveling for business right now but when i return i plan on doing some more chuck hunting so maybe then ill make a final verdict. It will stay in my gun safe, but it may not be my go to gun.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.