Long Range accubond 150 in a 280AI??

Elkwonder

I am ready to work up some reloads for my new 280AI LAW rifle. I was thinking something in the 150 to 160 grain range. The gun will be used mainly for mule deer and antelope as well as a sheep hunt that I am saving up for. I may use it on the occasional Elk if Im on a mule deer hunt and have an elk tag as well. I want a round that will do the job out to about 700 yards which is my max comfort range as of now.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the LR accubond 150 in the 280AI? I have read that that particular bullet was more designed for 7mmag velocities, but can't find any info to support that. It has an awesome bc, and should really scoot out of the 280AI. If not, what other loads would you recommend for this setup? Thanks

Hey there,

Sorry not gonna be able to help on the 150 LRAB's. between me and my hunting buddy's we have tried them in at least 8 different 7mm's of different flavours and could never get them to shoot worth a crap... 284, 2 x 280ai, 3 x 7mm rem, 7mm stw, 7-08... none of them liked them... maybe we got a bad lot of bullets but the best we have got was 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards most groups were 3-5"... we make a point of keeping some on hand for when we get a new 7mm rifle to load for to try them in it just to see if we actually get a rifle that likes them...
My 280ai loves the 180 Berger hybrids and shoots the 175 LRAB Almost as well but my experience with the 150 LRAB has scared me off of the 175 grainers....
if you are looking at something in the 150-160 range with a good bc I'd try the 162gr ELD-M or X, we have 4 7mms that shoot 1/2 moa consistently with them....

Good luck
Orch

Orch thank Bud!!!
I was thinking the 160 was my cut off for my 280AI, but maybe I should just be fine with jumping up to 168. It seems like there are MANY high BC options between 160 and 168 in the 7mm bullets.
I just thought that anything over 160 would really start to slow down the 280AI and was probably better suited for the 7mm mag. My rifle has a 24inch barrel and so that won't help as much with velocity as if I had a 26 either.
Really having a hard time trying to decide what is the best option to start with...lol
I will definitely take a look at that 162 grainer for sure.....thanks

160 is not a cut-off for the .280 AI. The Berger 168 VLD or Hybrids would be ideal. But if you have a 1:9 twist, it will handle the 180 Hybrids, and your velocity might be slower, but the ballistics will blow your mind.

However, the 168 will be the best compromise of speed, KE, and ballistics.

Remember, velocity is not always everything. One of my favorite loads is a Berger 210 VLD in my .308 Win. It's slow, but ballistics are better than the 168 or 175's for long range.

Ive been doing nothing but reading about 280AI loads. I had just about settled on the 160 Accu-bond, but it sounds like you would suggest the 168 VLD instead huh Mudrunner? Also would you go...VLD or classic hunter? Yes the LAW rifle has a 1 in 9 24inch barrel. Thanks

Ive been doing nothing but reading about 280AI loads. I had just about settled on the 160 Accu-bond, but it sounds like you would suggest the 168 VLD instead huh Mudrunner? Also would you go...VLD or classic hunter? Yes the LAW rifle has a 1 in 9 24inch barrel. Thanks

I shoot the 168 VLD's out of my 7mm RemMag for deer. But the Classic Hunter is also an excellent bullet from what I hear. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I have had awesome results with the 168 ABLR in my 280AI in both accuracy, consistency and terminal performance. Good BC too. It's not to heavy for the 280AI. I think 160-168 is optimum but I think 175-180s work well too. Honestly, I think this is the only load I need for this rifle. I have a 162 ELDM load worked up for practice since ABLRs are much more expensive. But for a hunting load, I don't see the need for multiple bullets.

I am ready to work up some reloads for my new 280AI LAW rifle. I was thinking something in the 150 to 160 grain range. The gun will be used mainly for mule deer and antelope as well as a sheep hunt that I am saving up for. I may use it on the occasional Elk if Im on a mule deer hunt and have an elk tag as well. I want a round that will do the job out to about 700 yards which is my max comfort range as of now.
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the LR accubond 150 in the 280AI? I have read that that particular bullet was more designed for 7mmag velocities, but can't find any info to support that. It has an awesome bc, and should really scoot out of the 280AI. If not, what other loads would you recommend for this setup? Thanks

I've had pretty good luck with 280AI using 160gr AB deer/elk if I draw elk tag same season. First year I got that rifle I took it on elk tag only hunt.

I have tried the Berger 168gr/180gr VLD's but haven't hunted with them. I have shot the 162gr ELD-X in that rifle and plan on during little more with it this winter and next year may hunt with them.

I've got some other rifles I'll also use deer tag so don't hunt with it every year. Last year I used Lilja barrel 270 with 150gr ABLR on Co early buck tag above timberline. Got nice 5x5 hit him in heart exit off side and very little damage. I have another 280AI mostly shoot 140/150gr bullets and last year I tried 150gr ABLR and 145gr LRX shot pretty good and also tried them in my 284 long action.

Tagging in. Also looking for a 280AI recipe. My plan is the 162 ELD-X or 168 Berger Classic Hunters. Hoping to hit about 3k fps with the 162 ELD-X out of a 24" tube. I should be able to get that. With any luck, that speed will also show an accuracy node.

When I had my 280AI, I tried all sorts of different powders, bullets and primers.
The ones that gave me lights out performance were this;
168gr long range accubonds
Retumbo powder
Federal 215M primers
I tried seating the bullets out to the lands and had terrible luck, then on the nosler forum a guy from nosler suggested seating them to SAAMI spec's, which if I remember is like 3.330...but check to make sure.
With that at 200 yards I could put all my shots in the size of a quarter.
Never did get to kill anything, ended up having to sell the guns for some medical bills.
A side note, I tried remington large rifle magnum primers, they were slower under the chrono. Tried Winchester large rifle mag primers, had the fastest FPS, but was getting a lot of misfires.
I never did try CCI primers

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.