Long distance target viewing?

LR3

Anybody have a solution to viewing a target at + 1 mile to 2500 yards? Anybody tried an iPhone using FaceTime at the target?

I had an old Sony digital cam that output baseband NTSC video (old style TV signals) on a yellow RCA style jack. I made a couple matching helical antennas wound on PVC pipe per my antenna handbook, stuck in an S-band xmitter and receiver along with a 27 inch Samsung monitor at the firing line and now I have a target cam. Link analysis shows that it should be good to a couple of miles but I've only run it out to 600 yards so far. When the snow gets gone I'll be going longer. It is fun to squeeze off a shot and leisurely look over to watch for the bullet hole to appear not to mention knowing where you are hitting.

An important feature of the target cam is the 20X optical zoom so the camera can be positioned a safe distance away from the target otherwise you'd be needing some steel plate which I don't really want to carry around.

www.bullseyecamera.com

For 500 bucks they have a turn key system. All you need is a cheap netbook with wireless.

No muss, no fuss, comes in it's own fitted case with an LIon rechargeable battery pack.

Plus, they are a site sponsor on here......:)

The bullseye system looks interesting, but the site says it is for use "up to 1,000 yards." The system he wants here is for use at up to 2,500 yards. It would be worth a call to see if they can do one for 2,500 yards and at what price.

My brother set up a system for me that we use routinely at 1,900 yards. I don't know the specifics of the HD camera or transmitter, we use two yaggie directional antenna mounted on inexpensive tripods talking to each other, and an inexpensive DVD player as a monitor. Since I can and do drive to my target point, I put a steel plate over my camera to protect it.

Never hit the steel so far, with probably 300 rounds down range over it. Even so, better safe than sorry.

Jeffvn

I remember reading about yours on here a while ago. I'm sure it would be worth a call (to Bullseye or an e-mail). Maybe a higher gain transmittal attenna or somesuch. I'm not an electronics person and don't claim to be.

I was just putting an option out there, nothing more.

I e-mailed the crew at Bullseye and they are working on a system capable of 2000. Cost and timing unknown (to me) - suggest you call.

TargetCam already has a system capable of 2500 (line of sight) - see here. Its $785 with one camera and includes a 7" hi-res display (no computer required). Good reviews and the price is the best I've found for this distance, especially with the included display.

At SHOT 2013 Oakwood Controls had a system that will go to 20km (20 kilometers - line of sight) but the price is a LOT steeper. Their system picks up the projectile as it passes sensors downrange and plots the shot on a PC screen. All you need is a point of aim immediately behind the sensors. Look for a lot more info from this company in the next 90 days.

We have tested the Bullseye Camera System 1000 Yard kit out to 1 mile with clear line of site and good conditions. You must have unobstructed view from router/camera to shooting location and be basically level for the signal to reach that far.

We are working on an Ultra Long Range kit that will be able to reach out much further than 1 mile :)

The big difference with our system is that it has software with it to show the last shot flashing on the screen no matter how many times you have shot the target, so you can easily see your shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.