Long barrels?

300 BO is optimized for short barrels, with nearly complete powder burn in first 9" or so. Very little to be gained with longer barrels in this cartridge, so you are good there.

If looking for something a little different with excellent BC and long-range target capability while still able to take deer out to 400 or so with very little recoil, take a look at the 6mm ARC that Hornady recently standardized. I helped a friend build one in 22" and wow that thing has potential. Supersonic past 1000yds and barely more recoil than 223.
You will need barrel, 6.5 Grendel type 2 bolt, and Grendel mags. Standard AR15 platform—does not require larger AR-10 platform.

Yes you will need 6.5 Grendel magazines or the 6.8 will work to run a full magazine good. With 223 mags some people can run them with two or three rounds in them and get them to work. The ARStoner mags from Midway are fine. I am pretty sure they are made by ASC because they look just like them. Get Hornady dies. The Lee dies size the neck down too much then expand it back out and work the cases too much and the neck will crack soon. Before this purchase everything in site and horde it up came alone you could get 6.5 Grendel ammo in many makes and styles almost any place unlike some of the other calibers mentioned.

My original question was because I like the AR platform for ease of adjustment and customization. My Savage 112 in 338 Lapua has no adjustment so I have to add a comb pad and butt pad to get it to fit. I know that a 338 on the AR platform would be to much as its not designed for that much recoil and the reciever is too short for the cartridge.. BUT I would like that........

Last edited:
Yes you will need 6.5 Grendel magazines or the 6.8 will work to run a full magazine good. With 223 mags some people can run them with two or three rounds in them and get them to work. The ARStoner mags from Midway are fine. I am pretty sure they are made by ASC because they look just like them. Get Hornady dies. The Lee dies size the neck down too much then expand it back out and work the cases too much and the neck will crack soon. Before this purchase everything in site and horde it up came alone you could get 6.5 Grendel ammo in many makes and styles almost any place unlike some of the other calibers mentioned.
Can Hornady dies be used on a Lee press?

If I was ice skating uphill this hard I'd probably go ahead and run 30 AR or the Wilson 30 cal to at least get the most out of it. I for one cannot understand a 300 blk barrel over 16 inches. The whole point is short barrels and suppressed. If not for the NFA I wouldn't see the merit in anything over 11 or 12 inches. I'm about to be putting together an 8 inch gun personally
Why not just buy a pistol?

Is it possible to find 30" plus or minus barrels for the ar15 platform? Any caliber? I dont think the AR action could handle a 338 but on the other hand I have one AR with the 300 BO action and barrel. But that 16" barrel does not contribute to getting the most out of any round.
Ar15 is only limited to what will fit through barrel lugs an the magazine length. I currently fire 50 cal. In ar15 but 2.260 is max length.

Is it possible to find 30" plus or minus barrels for the ar15 platform? Any caliber? I dont think the AR action could handle a 338 but on the other hand I have one AR with the 300 BO action and barrel. But that 16" barrel does not contribute to getting the most out of any round.
With time and money anything is possible. Wilson Combat has a 338 on an AR10 platform. But it could be possible to wildcat your own cartridge based off of one of the cartridges being used on the AR15. I'm not sure you have enough case capacity to get the most out of a barrel around 30 inches. Only one way to find out.

If you like ar platforms this chassis from MDT is a cip length detachable magazine option for your 112. They have other less expensive options but when you option them out they are close to this number.
If you want the most out of the ar platform for long distance accurate fire. Robert's resume would be hard to beat and so is this cartridge. His uppers is competitive at Camp perry every year. Search his site and read his info. It will be a better information option. If that is not enough him or his son on the phone is extremely educational as well as nice to talk with.

If you like ar platforms this chassis from MDT is a cip length detachable magazine option for your 112. They have other less expensive options but when you option them out they are close to this number.
If you want the most out of the ar platform for long distance accurate fire. Robert's resume would be hard to beat and so is this cartridge. His uppers is competitive at Camp perry every year. Search his site and read his info. It will be a better information option. If that is not enough him or his son on the phone is extremely educational as well as nice to talk with.

It looks like hornady "drew inspiration " from his cartridge for the 6mm ARC

It looks like hornady "drew inspiration " from his cartridge for the 6mm ARC
The 6.5 creedmoor was a result of David Tubbs talking with Dennis Demile about making brass for his XC in 2006. The creedmoor was just a necked up XC that came out in 2007 and the 6 creed is the xc with American brass vs the European brass he was using that caused the "click at the top of the bolt lift due to the different base diameter. Hornady isn't that innovative. They are more a ripoff and replace. Then they market the crap out of the product that is already proven. If they put all that energy into better tolerances and better QC they would own the industry due to there capacity. All the new shooters out there have no idea who stoney point is yet most of the "precision tools" they sell were Stoney point and were better when they were.
I use their bullets and their products but not for when it really matters. That is because when I teach most couldn't come close to shooting to the potential of the system they are using if it is mine. If they can I will give them a magazine's worth of ammo and show them what can be done with proper practice and instruction.

I have bought 28" AR barrels from Krieger threaded and/or chambered with the gas port drilled and located. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call to see if 30 + is possible.

The 28'' that I have is very long overall because of the action length so Keep that In mind. I would also recommend a heavy contour (.850 or .920) for that length.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.