Free floating extra long barrels

hemiford

I have an interest in ordering a couple of very long barrels to try,
as a somewhat expensive experiment, one at 32 inches and
another at 37 inches.

These will be on long action Rem 700's. Now, the benefits of
free-floating a barrel is not in question, however, 37 inches definitely
puts considerably more downward static loading on the receiver.

The barrel can be ordered with the big end having no taper for the
first 3~8 inches (or whatever), then start the taper.

So here's my question: Is it prudent to include the non-tapered
barrel length portion in the bedding, and free float from there out ?

I don't know the term for it(a pad?), but my builds so far have included barrel bedding for a few inches forward of actions.

I bed the straight part of the barrel on my rifles and also on the rifles I build for customers. You would be surprised how much movement there is out at the end of the barrel just being supported by the receiver.
Tarey

Barrel blocks clamping barrels have been used epoxied in fore ends of NRA high power match rifles with great success. They're sort of a shoulder-fired rail gun design.

But bedding anywhere under the barrel in front of the receiver's never been popular in such rifles. Too many good tests have proved that starting out with a cold barrel, pads under the chamber area cause shots to string up as the barrel heats and expands changing the pressure under the barrel in that area. Besided, that pad transfers fore end bending from different shooting positions (they all do to some microscopic amount).

30" heavy barrels (straight taper 1.2" to 1.0") have been fit to match winning and record setting Win. 70 rifles totally free floating for decades. As a Rem 700 receivers are about 1/3rd as stiff as a Win 70 one, they will bend more for any weight barrel screwed into it. But the amount of bending will be repeatable so it may not be an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.