Lone Peak Fuzion, Defiance Ruckus or Kelbly Atlas???

There's a fair point here to be considered.

If/when for whatever reason you or your heirs choose to sell your custom rifle you're probably going to take at least a 30-50% beating when you do.

It's not at all uncommon for guys to end up taking less for the rifle when they sell it than they spent on the parts.

On the flip side, a custom coming from a good shop is going to come with guarantees you'll never get from one of the bigger manufacturers.

I'm not at all concerned about resale value myself because I have no desire to ever resell any of my custom rifles and if my heirs decide to they deserve a good beating.
Well there is that, but consider the fact that no matter what you build if there is not someone who enjoys your passion for shooting and hunting then your masterpiece will most likely be sold for pennies on the dollar at some auction site. Heirs who are not into your hobbies will much rather sell your toys than hold onto them. I just sent 10 of my firearms to auction since my son or any other people I know will not cherish them. Better I sell them at auction then they, at a local auction where a $1500 shotgun will go for $200. Many of my students that are really into shooting and hunting will be the recipients of whatever is left after I go to the rifle range in the sky. Bless them all.

Well there is that, but consider the fact that no matter what you build if there is not someone who enjoys your passion for shooting and hunting then your masterpiece will most likely be sold for pennies on the dollar at some auction site. Heirs who are not into your hobbies will much rather sell your toys than hold onto them. I just sent 10 of my firearms to auction since my son or any other people I know will not cherish them. Better I sell them at auction then they, at a local auction where a $1500 shotgun will go for $200. Many of my students that are really into shooting and hunting will be the recipients of whatever is left after I go to the rifle range in the sky. Bless them all.
That's why my will is very specific as to who gets what guns. They will only go to those who will appreciate them.

For some folks it just doesn't matter, they are going to drive a Cadillac when a Chevy looks and does the same, or a Lexus when the Toyota is exactly the same but for the grill and the logo.

If that's what they want to spend their money on more power to them but Like I said, you do have a fair point there worth considering.

I've picked up some really nice low mileage custom rifles for less than the cost of the parts in them for that reason.

That's why my will is very specific as to who gets what guns. They will only go to those who will appreciate them.

For some folks it just doesn't matter, they are going to drive a Cadillac when a Chevy looks and does the same, or a Lexus when the Toyota is exactly the same but for the grill and the logo.

If that's what they want to spend their money on more power to them but Like I said, you do have a fair point there worth considering.

I've picked up some really nice low mileage custom rifles for less than the cost of the parts in them for that reason.
One thing to remember is that set up who gets what while you can. Once you pass you have no say in the matter. My will. most likely will be contested since I prefer to leave some things to those who will appreciate them and use them as intended instead of looking at the $$ signs.

One thing to remember is that set up who gets what while you can. Once you pass you have no say in the matter. My will. most likely will be contested since I prefer to leave some things to those who will appreciate them and use them as intended instead of looking at the $$ signs.

Of the three you mentioned, I prefer the Atlas…the smoothness is noticeable over the other two and I've come to appreciate the mechanical ejector. I don't chase brass unless a fast follow up is needed.

Not on your list the BAT as Elk mentioned and I like the versatility of the BigHorn TL3. If you don't utilize the switch barrel it might not have the appeal but I like the fact that for less than $150 I can have mine setup one day as a 308 and the next as a SAUM.

Good luck.

I run them on everything from a 375 cheytac too 22 creedmoor ... all life coated melonite never seen lug set back or galling of any kind hunting in all kinds of conditions from Mexcio too Alaska ... But I cant say the same for a couple of the others ...

I also wont own a steel action that hast been melonited or DLC treated no matter who makes it..period

Ok - Why not?

Im probably not alot of help, but I have a 6.5 prc on a kelblys atlas action and love it. My current 28 nosler build is on a defiance anti x action. I love both, the defiance action is a bit lighter and the atlas is cheaper. I would say you cant go wrong with either.

Ok - Why not?
The Main reason is the ultimate in weather protection!!!
another reason is how slick they become when ran and never loose it over time .. vs raw or bead blasted while still maintaining tighter tolerances,
The faces of the bolt lugs and lug abutments will stay true no matter what they are ran in so no galling, can be ran dry without harm to either.

Last edited:
Gotcha so you meant you WON'T own a action that HASN'T been melonited or dlc treated. That makes more sense in your overall statement now.

Thanks for all the response and opinions guy's it is appreciated.

Can't say it's really helped me narrow down which one I want but it has given me great confidence that I won't go wrong with any of them!

Thanks for all the response and opinions guy's it is appreciated.

Can't say it's really helped me narrow down which one I want but it has given me great confidence that I won't go wrong with any of them!
Well, if nothing else we're really good at confusing folks because there are a lot of very good options out there depending on your price range.

Best of luck.