**** lodge/masons oaths ****

roaddog1m Moses killed someone and look what he did. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the only unforgiveable sin.

Brent

So then what about those of us who have killed someone either in the military or in law enforcement? Are we not going to heaven? Looking back, I've also broken most of the ten commandments at one time or another. Some several times! I can honestly say that I've never killed anyone who wasn't actively trying to kill me. Am I still going to hell? Will the meek really enherit the earth. I guess I just don't want to believe that.

On a side note: Hasn't anyone noticed that Bigbuck is playing you guys like a harp. He just waits for things to settle down and people to start to agree or agree to disagree. Then he plucks a string and watches as the fires erupt. We'd all be better off not to let him manipulate us into his trap. My guess is that he doesn't have anyone around the house to argue with and more than likely doesn't even hunt, let alone have a rifle.

Some thoughts.

Tom

In getting back to this reply after a quick article post above...

How many commandments have I broken how many times? I couldn't even begin to count. I am truly lost but for the saving grace of Christ and his sacrifice for me. He was willing to die for me when I was still in my sin.

Romans 5:6-10 -- "You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!"

Thanks be to God! Since I am a Christian, does this mean I no longer sin? Absolutely not! I wish that were the case, but it is not. I am in need of Christ's forgiveness every day--as are we all.

Tom, look at what many call the greatest apostle, the Apostle Paul, known as Saul before his conversion on the road to Damascus on his way to persecute Christians. He was one of the most careful Pharisees--careful to keep the human made rules. He relentlessly pursued Christians and killed them. But God confronted him on the road to Damascus (Acts 9) and Paul finally came to see the Truth! The bible is full of redemptive stories like this. Some of the biggest 'heros' in the bible were the biggest villains there could be before they came to a knowledge of God. NO ONE is beyond God's grace. The Creator of the Univers is much bigger and more powerful than that.

Jon

JMDEN, fyi there are more than just Roman Catholics. Greek and Russian Orthodox are also Catholics and there are Armenian Catholics as well. Some Ukranians call themselves Ukranian Catholics. There were two churches Rome and Constantinople. You assumed I was Roman Catholic.

JMDEN, fyi there are more than just Roman Catholics. Greek and Russian Orthodox are also Catholics and there are Armenian Catholics as well. Some Ukranians call themselves Ukranian Catholics. There were two churches Rome and Constantinople. You assumed I was Roman Catholic.

My mistake. I apologize. Tell me about the the others.

Jon

I can't tell you too much about Armenian or Ukranian but the Russian and Greek are similar to Roman in rituals however they recognize the Pope as just another Bishop. They do not recognize any particular Bishop higher than any other. The most notable difference is that Priests can marry.
There are other little differences like Easter being a different day. Still Sunday but not usually the same one as everyone else. Sign of the Cross is right-left where Romans are left-right. Most of the rest of the doctrine is pretty much the same.

Many still don't believe in the whole Pre-historic earth period.

Mark.

If one truly searches the Bible and does not take to it your preconceived ideas, wherever they may come from (origins science so-called, etc.) and let the inspired Word of God speak for itself, you will not come away thinking there is much of a 'pre-historic' time period. Certainly not billions of years. A strict reading of the text would reveal only a few days before man was created, so if by pre-historic, you mean those few days, then I would agree.

So, is there evidence, biblical or otherwise for this claim? Yes, and I believe it to be much more coherent than that for the claim of the 'billions and billions of years' (as Carl Sagan used to love to say--where is Carl spending eternity?).

I've stated that you can't logically take just bits and pieces of the bible as that destroys the whole message of the bible. Why then if you destroy the Bible with your thinking you've taken to it, would then then say that, well, this part and this part are still true. Why belive ANY of it at that point? I sure wouldn't. That just doesn't make any sense. It's not rational. Either you accept it or you don't. And there is not reason not to accept it just like it is.

For instance, if one tries to mix the idea of evolution and the Bible, you quickly run up against major biblical problems, not the least of which is the idea of millions of years of death and dying before even the creation of man and certainly after as well. God clearly states that his creation was perfect before Adam and Eve sinned in Genesis. Does death and dying sound like a perfect creation? What kind of God would call that perfect? That's a stretch. And, even more to the point, what is the world to be 'restored' to mentioned in Acts 3:21. Millions of years of death and dying before the fall of man, Adam and Eve's first sin? For many more biblical points on this see: http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c026.html

Some people aren't concerned about questions of evidence, etc. But people like me are. And I've spent quite a bit of time over the years studying this. Can I really trust that the Bible is truly the inspired Word of God, written by men moved by the Holy Spirit to do so? Yes.

What is the alternative? Beliving that man has all the answers? How many mistakes do you make everyday? If you make as many as I do, I surely wouldn't want the standard to be what I think it right. That is a faith that many people have, but a pretty lousy faith.

Am I really going to trust in myself (man) or in a perfect, holy, loving, just God?

Here are just a few topics to get started on relating to geology alone.

From answersingenesis.org:

Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics
General Geology topics

What geological evidence in our world today supports events mentioned in the Bible, such as a global flood?

How were the Earth's coal beds formed? Does coal formation take a long time?

How were limestone caves formed? Does cave formation take a long time?

Do stalagmites and stalactites take a long time to form?

Is there evidence that rocks don't take a long time to form?

How can many fine layers of rock be formed very quickly?

How can the earth be relatively young (thousands of years old), if dating methods produce dates that are millions of years old?

Are there other geological evidences that show the earth is not millions of years old?

Are fossils proof of millions of years? Why does the evolutionary "geologic column" claim the Earth is millions of years old?

See also:

--------------------

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c026.html

Last edited:
I can't tell you too much about Armenian or Ukranian but the Russian and Greek are similar to Roman in rituals however they recognize the Pope as just another Bishop. They do not recognize any particular Bishop higher than any other. The most notable difference is that Priests can marry.
There are other little differences like Easter being a different day. Still Sunday but not usually the same one as everyone else. Sign of the Cross is right-left where Romans are left-right. Most of the rest of the doctrine is pretty much the same.

1 TI 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Bigbuck

Last edited:
King James Bible

They tell me my Bible's outdated, that its teachings are no longer true;
God's just an etheral spirit who cares nothing for me or for you.
They tell me that all men are brothers, and they laugh of the need of rebirth,
They talk of a coming new kingdom that's evolving right here on the earth.
They scoff at the Birth of my Saviour; He was only a man, so they say;
His life was the perfect example, what we follow as he leads the way.
They altered each creed in my Bible, each doctrine they've ripped to shred;
They say i've not need for Salvation, and that Christ did not rise from the dead.
I listen, but all they tell me makes me cling to my Bible the more:
For nowhere but in its sacred pages is the comfort i've sought o'er and o'er.
No, this book is my sole consolation; I believe it is holy and true;
I'll cling to its teachings forever, for i've faith in it's Author.......don't you?

Bigbuck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.