Loading 300 WM. Issues ! Help ??

Russbouv

Here's one for the pros... I've got a Ruger m77 300 wm. I've always used this gun as my guiding gun and shot factory barnes out of it.. Or whatever clients left behind.. I've been working up loads with little success to get this gun under 1" group. Not new to reloading and never had this issue before. The longest I can seat bullets and have them feed out of the mag is 3.340. Which is right out of the book. Touching the lands is 3.565. That is .225 off the lands. !!! I had 2 factory loaded barnes left and measured them at 3.307. Should I try the factory OAL or something in between ?? I've tried 2 different powders so far.

I too have an old M77. It is a tang safety in 300 wm.
I have only been able to get the Barnes to shoot well when they are seated "deep" into the case. Can't remember off hand but the 175gr LRX are covering all the pressure grooves. I would just seat them in increments of .030-.050" until you see it tighten up. Mine won't get much better than an inch after trigger, bedding all the stuff I could do myself. H4831 has worked the best out of this rifle. RE-22 wasn't very fond of. The deeper I seated into the case the better it shot, just start with a low charge weight and find where it likes to be seated then work with more powder.
You are really limited by the mag box. It was frustrating but it just takes a little tinkering.

Thanks Shane, that kinda what I was thinking of doing as well... I'm using the 180 grn TSX. 66 grns of H4831 is the only group that had to that were close together. Maybe 1/2" then a flyer..I'll play with seating depth abit with that low charge. See wht happens.

Russ, which bullets, powders and primers have you tried? Barrel length and stock type, tang or markII?

Russ, which bullets, powders and primers have you tried? Barrel length and stock type, tang or markII?

Only tried the 180 grn TSX. I've tried IMR 4350 and H4831. Both using fed 215 primers. It's got a 24" magna ported barrel inside a MPI fiberglass stock that was bedded. Tang saftey. Haven't put a ton of time into it yet.. Was just wondering if I should seat deeper as I'm so far off the lands already ?

Russ, perhaps the Nosler 180 gr E-Tip would perform for you unless, you are open to lead core bullets. Forum member Broz has posted an outstanding load for the various Bergers in the 300WM which many have had outstanding success with.

Russ, perhaps the Nosler 180 gr E-Tip would perform for you unless, you are open to lead core bullets. Forum member Broz has posted an outstanding load for the various Bergers in the 300WM which many have had outstanding success with.

Ya I use this gun for guiding in case I have to dispatch an animal. I do not believe in the nosler etip is a good penetration type bullet. Personally I don't use noslers for hunting period. Just my experience with them.. They shoot paper great !!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.