300 wm issue

tankgijohn72

So this one has me perplexed. I have a savage 116 weather warrior in 300 WM. handloaded 175 barnes lrx over H4831. See dots on yellow target (holes on cardboard are diff rifles and loads) . I consistently get the rounds bouncing back and forth laterally on 3 shot groups. I let the barrel cool completely and shoot another 3 shot group. It doesn't follow a pattern of the first shot center and the next two left, they bounce back and forth. I have tried two different quality scopes. It follows this whether it has the factory accustock or another aluminum bedding block stock. I suppose it could be me, but I don't see how I could possibly be so consistent. Somewhat perplexed. Groups aren't awful, but wouldn't say they are awesome. Maybe 1.4" Orange dots are 3". Anyone experience this? I have shot it at 300 yards and they same thing happens, except the two separate groups are obviously further apart. Action screws all torqued with wheeler torque wrench.

Attachments

• 300 wm savage.jpg
    300 wm savage.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 212
That doesn't look too bad. The different groups are all in the same area.

Have you tried working up a load with a different bullet and powder?

I haven't been able to get the 215's to work after one ladder trial.

My 300 Win Mag likes the Berger 190 gr or 210 gr.

Yes, have tried multiple loads ELDMs, accubonds, among others. the 175 LRX shot the best. 215s wont get near the rifling and fit the mag. Focus is on a hunting rifle, so I want to have the mag full. Have checked concentricity, weighed powder, SD's are single digit or a little higher. Everything seems good, just cant figure out why it goes back and forth laterally. Its something I haven't seen when handloading for a bunch of other rifles, many of which were .300 wm. Heck, maybe it is me. I just find its hard to believe that if I'm the cause that I'm consistently putting shots in two locations. Maybe I need to spend some more time focusing on fundamentals.

Sounds like it's not the scope. So I would guess bedding too. Accustocks are usually pretty good, but it looks like the action is moving in the stock under recoil for whatever reason. Make sure the recoil lug is tight against the aluminum stop in the stock when you start to tighten down the action screws and maybe try to torque to 55 ~ 60 inch-pounds. I go to 65 I-Lbs on some chassis, but shy away from that much torque on a aluminum bedding block stock.

Yeah, that is the plan. The accustock, and hogue bedding block both showed it. Going to try glass bedding a boyd. If that doesnt do fix it, i guess i will have to leave it as is.

I know you tried different scopes, but did you check the torque on all the mounts? Did you lap your rings? If so this may be the problem and the scope is slipping in the rings. It can slip very little and cause big problems.

What ever it is it sounds to me like something is loose/moving.

Steve

Yes, torque on rings, bases and action screws checked multiple times. Did not lap the rings. One ring set is Burris signature. The other set of rings are Vortex Viper. The Vortex razor scope with the burris rings is one that I pulled off of another rifle that is shooting very consistent/small groups. When I switch out scopes I loosen the scope base screws, slide it off the rail and then retorque the screws on another rifle with matching rail. I agree it seems like something is moving, but think I have ruled out the scope/rings/mount. Hopefully when I get the boyd and glass bed it will rule out any stock issues. Otherwise I guess its me.

Steve, What did you do to fix it? Rail screws are all torqued and have blue loc tite. Have checked them multiple times. Nothing is loose. Switch out rail?

I have had the rail cause this issue before.

Steve
+1. Had a rail that was very ill fitting. Sent it back and got a mk4 steel pic rail. To check this simply install and tighten the front screw closest to ejection port. Then slide shim stock if available under rear of mount to see if it flexes any at rear. If so it needs bedding.

May need to bed the rail , I do it to all of mine regardless if they need it or not . It's an easy DIY project that almost anyone with a brain and a little patience can accomplish.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.