Load Variations with different brass.

bobo27

I was working up some loads yesterday for the 7mm STW. I had made three loads with 67.7gr. RE-22 using winchester brass and 10 loads using the same charge but using Nikel Plated Remington brass. When seating the bullet I noticed that they were harder to seat in the Nikel Plated brass. Would this be a cause for concern? The charge is no more than a maximum load reading from a sierra handloading book.

No the gun can handle more, there are no pressure signs at 67.7 grains and using the Winchester Brass. What I am worried about is since the bullets were harder to go in for the Nikel Plated Brass I was thinking the pressure will go up because they naturally will be harder to come out.

The REM brass will be way heavier than the Win brass (read less powder capacity, higher pressure, softer brass). You will see more pressure increase due to the case volume than you will due to the increased neck tension.

The nickel cases will show signs of "dirt" more so than brass. (read scratches etc).

The nickel cases will be a bit harder than brass and may "shrink" back more or expand less, depending on how you look at it, when the sizing button is pulled through the mouth.

With my nickel cases I have turned the necks to achieve uniform thickness and resulted in greater thicknesses than with Winchester cases.

Just my experience.

Peak pressure varies directly with neck tension on the bullet. More tension, more pressure. That's cause it takes more pressure to get the bullet started.

Nickel plating adds a bit of thickness to the brass, but I don't think that would make bullets harder to seat. At least that's been my experience with them.

It was noticable. I threw them to the side in my junk pile of bullets. No need to take chances. I am loading up 10 additional rounds with the same winchester brass that I know is safe.

Better to be safe than sorry!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.