different brass?

shootinfool

Kind of a rookie question, I know, but how much does using different brass affect accuracy? I have noticed that while trying to find a different load for one of my 7 mags, that the federal brass groups tighter with a given load than winchester brass. If a person were to mix the two how much do you think it would affect the accuracy of the load? Also, how much does it affect accuracy you mix your once fires, and say, your four or five times fired brass?

Kind of a rookie question, I know, but how much does using different brass affect accuracy? Substantially, depending on the capacity differences present in the different brands of brass. I have noticed that while trying to find a different load for one of my 7 mags, that the federal brass groups tighter with a given load than winchester brass. If a person were to mix the two how much do you think it would affect the accuracy of the load? Sometimes a lot, and the only way to know would be to shoot using both brands. If the case volume is substantially different you will even end up with different points of impact due to different pressures and velocities from the two differing brands of brass. Also, how much does it affect accuracy you mix your once fires, and say, your four or five times fired brass? Not very much, provided all the brass is of similar case capacity and the neck tension is similar.

My thoughts above in bold font.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.