Load Question?

John-Pure Precision

LRH Sponsor
I am wondering why the same load shot out of two different rifles would produce different speeds? I had a 300 Win Mag Mcgowen match grade barrel that shot 73.5 grains of RL 25 with prep. Winchester brass and a Federal Match primer spitting 200 gr. SMK's at 2892 FPS. Three shot groups were a ragged hole at 200 yards on a good day.
Now I have a barrel made by Criterion "Match" same length same twist everything the same and it shoots that same load 150 FPS slower. The accuracy was a little less than my other barrel so I bumped it up a grain to reach the same node I was hitting on the other barrel and it did the trick.
My question is why is it so much slower? Is the barrel not of as good quality? I also noticed it fowels up way worse than any Shillen or Mcgowen match barrels I have or have had.

Just curious that's all

Last edited:
You have experienced the nature of the beast.
All rifles, barrels, etc although seemingly the same are inherently different.
chamber, bore size and condition
construction , etc all influence the end result.
The list of variables is long and distinguished.
You did what you needed to find an accurate load
Good job.
Yes, some barrels take a little longer to break in as well

I think it's great that the extra grain did the trick. You might've had to mees with COAL especially if it was chambered with a diferent reamer.

Then, there are the guys that wonder why the drop data printed on a box of factory ammo doesn't exactly match their rifle on any given day.

The Nature of the Beast, yea that's right.

I've even heard of same barrel brand same twist cut with same reamer, not shoot the same............The old saying "Every rifle has it's own personality"

Good job on correcting for it though.:)

SBruce,
AWESOME mulie.
I got a decent 5x5 but a monster like you got is high on my list.
Not to change the subject!

SBruce,
AWESOME mulie.
I got a decent 5x5 but a monster like you got is high on my list.
Not to change the subject!

Thank You.

He is my "Buck of a lifetime". For the area I hunt, he is surely above average.
Scored 186 3/8" 9X6, 28" wide outside.

TrophyHunter_Colorado,

If this barrel fouls up quicker than your others, that maybe the reason it's slower too.? Might even change again after it breaks in more. But sounds like you're on top of it and making the necessary adjustments.

Good Luck and good shooting:)

Thanks for the imput guys I figured like you guys said that all barrels have there own personality I just have been lucky in what barrels I have had in the past.
I use a lee collet die and crimp each round at the same tention on every load. Thus making it possible for me to shoot accurate and consistant without loading bullets in to the lans and still being able to use my mag.
Savage has the worst desine to try to extend there box magazine, I am coming up with a hybrid design to fix this.

Savage has the worst desine to try to extend there box magazine, I am coming up with a hybrid design to fix this.

I've never owned a Savage, but I've seen their popularity grow and grow alot over the last 12 yrs or so. A while back they had the rep of offering the most accurate "out of the box" rifle a person could buy....Used to be Remington had that reputation, I think they gave it up to Savage though??

Seems lots of people buy and shoot Savage these days, that may be a good item to design, copyright and sell.

I think I shoot Savage because I can buy a Match barrel and throw it on the gun in no time and go out and shoot load data in such an easy fasion. The free floating bolt makes it to were you can have a accurate long range shooter. I have never had one that shot worse than 3/4 MOA, so I will stick with them until I learn more about other guns I guess.
I just went out and shot this CBI barrel again today and took the same load data I was shooting with the SMK's but used 200 grain Accubonds and to my suprise they shot awesome. I had a 1.118 inch group with 73.5 grains of RL-25 shooting 2855. A terrible group so I shot the Accubond with 74.5 gr. of RL 25 and shot a .338 inch group and the speed was 2878 fps average. I am thinking if I work up in .1 grain steps and hit that node at 2892 I can shrink that group to .25 or smaller. I don't know but I am starting to like these CBI barrels better.
My rig weighs 9 pounds scoped out I will get pics up just for fun

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.