Load for AX .338 lap mag 27 inch barrel

AaronEdwardJames

Hi, I've just got an AX .338 lap mag and want to use it for hunting, long range targets and stall when hit pale comps what's better the 250 grain scenars or 300 grains scenars, or 300 grain Sierra match kings , what is ideal velocity range for the 300 grains as I'm leaning towards them. Anyone have any real world advice from proven data not just theory's. I have plenty of experience shooting( ex British sniper using AW .338 ) but recently got out and want to keep up my skills, and I'm newish to reloading basic knowledge etc. I know British ammo velocity was between 860-880 mps depending on rifle and we also used a system of ASATS cards developed for that system. They were 250 grain lock base. Also Afghanistan service in Helmand province.

Thanks help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Kirby should probably chime in on this one, but you definitely want the 300 grain bullets to max the potential of the chambering (providing your barrel is a 1 in 10 twist or faster). Retumbo will be your go to powder. Every rifle is different, so work up to your max charge slowly. You should top out somewhere around 96 to 99 grains with a velocity of 2,900 fps.

There is another thread on this site where Kirby shares his experimenting with his 338 AX with RL33:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/338-allen-xpress-rl33-load-development-120353/

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.