338 Lapua Mag barrel

How far are u planning to shoot? 24 should be fine

2000 plus i acually am going to put a 25 or a 25.5 on it it will be a hunting and target gun, another thing i have read about these really long barrels out in the 30s is that the wear out very fast du to heat and lack of carbon as lubricant, the seals shoot a 26.5 and the most accuret per weight barrel is said to be a 27inch.gun)

2000 plus i acually am going to put a 25 or a 25.5 on it it will be a hunting and target gun, another thing i have read about these really long barrels out in the 30s is that the wear out very fast du to heat and lack of carbon as lubricant, the seals shoot a 26.5 and the most accuret per weight barrel is said to be a 27inch.gun)

A cartridge that burns 90 plus grains of powder with a26" or shorter barrel has a bit too much muzzle balst for me. A much more sedate creature with a 30" barrel. That is what I have and I would not want it shorter

Mine 338 LM weighs about 13 pound scope and all

Shooting338Laupa003.jpg

A cartridge that burns 90 plus grains of powder with a26" or shorter barrel has a bit too much muzzle balst for me. A much more sedate creature with a 30" barrel. That is what I have and I would not want it shorter

Mine 338 LM weighs about 13 pound scope and all

Shooting338Laupa003.jpg

yes i forgot to mention it will have a #8mtu barrel so itll have allot of weight in it, and i have a fat bastard break for it. gun)

Actually 4 or 5 of the .308's we use past 1000 are 20 inch barrels, mine is 22" we are shooting 155 scenars but I have seen it also done with 175smk's, Infact one of my buddies rifle is a 18" barrel and he has no problem to 1000 yards.
The 18 incher was a factory Rem. 5r cut to 18 inches, He was using fed. gold match 175's. The other rifles including mine are all customs,

My 6.5x47 lapua is a 22" barrel made by GA precision. 1 in 8.5 twist rock barrel. I am shooting 130 bergers at 2970fps.

My 300 wsm is 24" fn spr and it is a freaking hammer at 1000 yards, 190 bergers at 3000fps.

I used to think short barrels sucked until I started using them. Less weight, easier handling and they can still get it done at long range.

Before somebody calls ********. You can call preston at surgeon, jared at patriot, George at GA, and I can keep on with the customs that me and my buddies have had built. The 338 lapua with the 20" barrel was built by Patriot (Ask him about the .338 he built for Tom B in Laredo)..

Nolo,

I'd like to chat with you about a 20" barrel. Please pm me your personal number. Thanks!
Joden

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.