30-338 Lap Mag Help!!!

Lapie

Hi all.
I've just joined the forum (I'm from across the pond, UK) and need some info/ your thoughts on this topic...
I and 3 friends all have Sako TRG-42 Rifles in .338lap.
We often shoot at military ranges with the rifles but as time goes on more and more ranges are closing their gates on the .338 lapua cal.
Don't ask me why, I don't know. I can even shoot a .50cal on the same range I cant shoot a .338lap

So we (the 4 TRG owners) have decided to convert the rifles to 30-338 using the lapua cases.
I have been reading a few small posts on different forums, about the 30-338 imp 40degree versions, but we aren't interested in that one.
What we need to know is, has anyone had experience in this calibre and if so how does it shoot, what barrel length/twist rate do you consider best and has anyone got a make and part number for the dies we should use?

Also I have posted the same questions on reloadbench.com and had great results so far, but things are getting confusing, as someone ask what the difference is between the 30-338 lap mag and the 300 lap mag.... Anyone on here know the answer to this???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Any help would be great

Lapie

I would get a Redding bushing FL sizing die for a 338 Lapua and put the bushing for the 30. As for a seating die I would have a hand die made form your reamer. I have a 11 twist and shoot bullets up to the 220 SMK it you want to shoot the 240g I would get a 10t barrel length 28" to 32" My rifle is a 30

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.