Load for 270 too hot?

In my 270, fireformed, neck sized, 55 gr imr4350, 130 gr combined technology, winchester primers flattened more than cci but shot better. I chauked it up to softer primers.
I have been using wlr in my 270 for years and they do seem to be softer imo.
Yeah, I am not jammed, I set length with the hornady tool and then double checked to make sure it was not hitting. I am .015 off the lands as I remember, at least. For powder, running 4831. Hoping its just soft primers, I'm going to run them again along with .5 grains under (which would be book max) and see where the accuracy lies. If they are the same or close, I'll go slower.
I use the 130 BT or AB bullets with wlr and H4831 and noticed the same when working up a load. The faster i pushed it, the tighter the groups got. I also just bump the shoulder and am seated near the lands. I have been using between 59 and 59.5 with excellent results. This pushes my 130 very consistantly around 3000 from a 22" barrell. I am checking velocity each time i shoot and i am amazed at how consistant it is even with temp swings.
What is your load?

My load is 140 NAB, 58.5 gr H4831, Rem Brass, just shoulder bumped. WLR primer. Loaded .015 off lands, for OAL of 3.458. Book max is 58 grains at 3.340. According to the book, from a 24" barrel max should get me 3000fps. With my load, I am getting 3014 at an ambient temp of 85-90 degrees.
Yeah, it seems like the harder I push these, the more the ES's and SD's tighten up.

I would guess you would be ok. I will have to measure my OAL. Comparing to my 22" barrel you should get a little higher velocity with the 24". In TX you should be at the high extreme on temps which will help. I made my 130 load in southern AZ so we are comparable there as well. Like i mentioned before, i have shot this load for 25 years and have yet to find something i like better. My wife and kids have killed a slew of deer, elk, and antelope with them. I shoot deer and speedgoats with the BTips. I change to the AB rounds for the elk though but have only recovered 1 round from an elk, all others kept going. Good luck with it!

Dang Mudrunner, just noticed your avatar pic. That is a BA group! Well done!
Thanks. I shot that with shots number 76 through 100 fired out of my new 700 5R Milspec .308 Win. Took about 50 shots to get the barrel broken in and settled, and then about another 26 shots of playing around. Those 26 shots were so consistent and accurate in separate 5-shot groups, that I decided to shoot the last 24 rounds I had loaded up into 1 big group, as a hot-lap (no breaks). And if I hadn't tried to get greedy and shoot out all the orange (the one shot that I pulled to the far right middle of the group) it would have been under 1.000".

Here's a bigger picture of it...

Also, I accidentally wrote down the group size without subtracting .308 for the bullet diameter, which makes it officially measure 1.286".

Attachments

• IMG_1694.JPG
    IMG_1694.JPG
    759.1 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.