Load development

mkk

I am quite sure this will create some debate because I know there are several different ways to accomplish a load for my rifle.

I am limited to .030 off the lands because of a magazine

1. Should I start with .030 OTL and play with powder in .5g increments? If so when I find that nice group then try to tweek the OTL

2. Should I start with a set charge of powder and play with seating depth? When I find the sweet spot then start adding powder assuming I will start at a low charge initially

Last edited:
Either approach will work but there are quite a few bullets that like to jump 0.030" give or take with Berger VLDs being a possible exception so I'd load up a ladder with your chosen powder and see what it will do with the 0.030" jump.

I say do a full blown seating test, if results are beyond the magazine go to another bullet or eliminate the magazine limit.
Shoot a ladder, test a couple possibles from the ladder, and tweak seating to shape grouping.

I'd find a rough preferred seating depth, then work up a powder charge (Optimal Charge Weight) and then fine tune seating depth.

I would start with a minimum charge and play with seating depth to see if the rifle will shoot well at .030" or if it'll handle something maybe even a bit shorter. Never know 'til you try! Once you figure out what depth your rifle has a tendency to shoot well, start playing with powder charges to find a velocity node that produces the accuracy you are looking for.

all good advice on seating depth....
I will say that the size of the case plays into how large of a jump I'll go between charge weights... a 223 or similar may well need a small charge increase like .5 gr... A bigger caliber like a 300rum may not really show changes until you jump a couple of grains at a time... You can always fine tune your charge...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.