Load development help

Joefrazell

Hi guys, first post here. Anyways, I just bought a new rem700 sendero in .300 win mag. Ive only ran factory cor lokts and handloads so far. The cor lokt shot 1-2 moa I used these for a break in. I'm having some trouble finding a good consistent load. Im loading hornady 208 eldm. I've tried imr7828, imr 4381 and h-1000. The h1000 seems to be the best. I got a few less then moa 3 shot groups but only on the lower end of the powder charge. I changed my seating depth from .015 to .005 to see if it would change anything and I lost my accuracy node lower in the powder charge that I had before. Towards the upper end of the scale, 77gr. And 78 is max, it grouped 4 shots at about 1 moa but two shots were in one hole and two in the other. Am I close? should I try to add a few tenths? Should I try to seat closer? I stopped at 77 gr. Buy didn't see any pressure signs. What would you guys with more experience do? Also, im shooting prone off a solid platform. Thanks in advance guys!

Does your scope have a level and parallax adjustment. It sounds like you may be there and showing two groups due to head position or rifle cant.

Steve

it grouped 4 shots at about 1 moa but two shots were in one hole and two in the other.

The above might have just been a little shooter error. I would explore this load some more before trying anything else. I would give it a 5 shot group at 100 to get warmed up and give it another chance at 100 yards and then take it long and see how it does at 300 or further. Then pass judgement on it.

If the above load doesn't pan out...I'm not sure how much closer to the lands would help. But my concern would be magazine length and getting a load that fit in the mag if that is important to you. A longer jump may even help. A load at around COL might be a good place to look.

Welcome Joe ...
I certainly agree with the comments offered thus far. I have had experiences where I was chasing a load that just would not settle down. I found that all it took was changing bullet weight and/or style.

In my 7mag I had to run 2 tenths under max with h1000, with the eld's to get good accuracy. nosler partitions i could run 2-4grains under max and still get 1in groups @200yrds. also as others have said it may just be you.........

Yeah, maybe I was just having a bad day. I guess my question was to see of anyone knows what would be taken from shooting one group into two holes at 100 yrds. Seems like it's trying to shoot into two nodes or something. My scope does have a paralax setting. I'm probably over thinking it. It was the last group o shot so it kinda left me hanging..

I personally will not run the eld-x in mag. chamberings any longer. I chased my tail last year with 175 eld-x in my 8 twist (shilen bbl'd) 7stw and the 200 eld-x in my 300rums and 300win till I was ****ed at all the rifles. I know it isn't the rifles since all the rifles have loads that are consistently .5 to .6 moa (the stw will run .2 to .3 moa if the shooter does his part)... The I get into a 6.5 creed. for my son and I try the 143 eld-x in her; the rifle is .6 moa with zero load development with the pill. I simply loaded 41gr. h4350 with a 210 under it with the 143eld-x and let her buck at factory oal...

The 300rums are currently running either the 225 hdy hpbt/ rl33 or the 180 hdy sp/ rl25.... the 300win is currently running a 165 hdy sp/ rl22.... the 7stw is running a 140 ab/ rl25...

Does your scope have a level and parallax adjustment. It sounds like you may be there and showing two groups due to head position or rifle cant.

Steve

Steve's points are two of my favorite thus far. It doesn't take much "cant", even at 100 yards, to make shots pair up in strange group configurations. Parallax, certainly influenced by head position, can also be subtle. You don't describe your setup entirely but things that are also worth listing are the pressure of cheek weld, rear bag influences, where the rifle sits on the front rest relative to its balance point and the grip on the stock with the trigger hand.

This is all grest info guys. Yeah, I've got a 6.5 creedmoor and shoot the 143 eldx's and its like you just can't go wrong lol. 1/2 moa is the norm with it. To answer the questions above my rest is a pack like it will be during a hunt. My rear bag is a sweater manipulated to hold steady. Cheek weld is not great with my setup yet. Scopes a little high. I need to build up the cheek area a bit.

Another thought(s).

100y is in my opinion too close to pay much attn. to accuracy. You can tell if it is bad, but I think there are a lot of good loads that are thrown out because they shoot 1" at 100 when the expectation is half that. I personally have seen many loads shooting 1" at 100y that shoot 2" or less at 300Y and then 3" at 600y.

Not sure how many groups you have shot with this load but if it is repeatable with 2 high and 2 low you could have something on the rifle that is very slightly loose predictably throwing bullets. Or scope that moves under recoil back and forth etc. If you had shot a 5th shot it may have landed in the middle of the other 4 and you would have been tickled.

My parting statement is that it is not worth changing anything in this current load until you prove that it is poor at greater distance. My gut says you have a good load.

Steve

One more.:D

I have had quite a few light weight hunting rifles that if let to cool completely between shots will shoot MUCH better. Like better than half the group size.

Steve

Now that you have revealed more about your load development practices, IMO you are having a hard time getting a good consistent load because you are shooting from an inconsistent platform.

Lots of time for practicing field positions later.

I shoot prone off of a bag because it's where I'm most comfortable, stable. I've tried sleds and benches and while they do ok, there not my favorite. I can shoot constant .5 moa shooting this way with my 6.5 creedmoor so I'm just not sure why it wouldn't work with my new rifle. I feel comfortable. I know it's a big difference from a 6.5 creedmoor to a .300 win bug I'm not recoil sensitive and only shoot 20-30 shots per outing.

Well I'll be going out today to do some more testing. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.