load development for 270 wsm and Nosler E-Tip

jimwest

Loading 270 WSM. 130 g Nosler E-Tip with IMR 4831. Data is from Nosler website. Brass (Federal)
neck sized from once fired in Tikka T3 with 23.5 inch barrel. Got the following velocities for each load.

60.0 gr 2925 fps

59.5 gr 2850 fps

59.0 gr 2840 fps

58.5 gr 2840 fps

I was expecting somewhere between 3100 to 3200 fps. Loaded another batch using Hornady 130 SP. Same powder, same brass neck sized.

64.0 gr 3088 fps

64.5 gr 3125 fps

65.0 gr 3145 fps

65.5 gr 3190 fps

66.0 gr 3230 fps

Here is my dilemma. Lyman Loading Manual has data for 130 grain Sirocco with similar loads as I used for my Hornady bullets. Looking at the two bullet profiles (Nosler and Sirocco) it seems they are almost identical. So should I use the upped Sirocco loads on my Nosler E-Tips? I carefully examined the brass for stress and primer abnormalities after each firing. I need to use the Nosler lead free bullets for hunting in California. I'm wondering if the longer Nosler bullets (all copper with higher BC and overall length) result in seating the bullet further into the neck and thus increasing pressure.

The barnes and hammers bullets have relief grooves in the baring surface. If you want to try the 140 tsx barnes I have a box of 50 I'd sell/trade if your interested

I load 130gr Barnes tsx in a browning a bolt and I get the published velocities Barnes lists .3200+ fps. Is your Coal 2.82? Nosler is? using a Wiseman barrel so maybe it's faster but you should see 3200. I don't believe a half inch of barrel missing should cost you 200 fps.

I'm feeling good about loading some 130 grain Nosler E-Tips with the loads published in the Lyman book for the Swift 130 grain Spitzer. Both bullets have nearly identical sectonal density and length. I'll start out light on the powder and work my way up. Since both bullets are described as Spitzer Boat Tails, with nearly identical deminsions I just can't see an 'un-safe' reason for not using the increase powder/loads. That is unless I'm missing someting there that a more experienced handloader can identify.

You should be accurate anywhere from.0.5gr to 1 gr less than max and that should give you 3200fps.
thankyou Saintsfan. i just want to get a good load down without having to put too many rounds in. I would be happy with 3100 fps and a .75 moa group. I'm almost there with the exception of velocity. thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts