Load data organization

TrentK16

Ok so Ive been reloading going on 3 years now and one thing i have really yet to figure out, is a good way to keep everything organized. I can be kinda OCD about certain things and organization is one of them. Right now i just have everything piled into one 3 ring binder with data on my 3 different rifles and one pistol I've loaded for. So for all of you that have been loading for years, how do you guys keep everything organized for each load and each rifle (or pistol)? And are there any sheets out there that work well for documenting data on loads? Right now i just right everything out on notebook paper.

Thanks for any input and advice,
Trent

I use an excel spreadsheet and list each caliber on a different worksheet. You can compile a lot of data. Print out the sheets to use on your loading bench.

I use an excel spreadsheet and list each caliber on a different worksheet. You can compile a lot of data. Print out the sheets to use on your loading bench.
I prefer to have everything synch between my computer, iPad and phone so I use Evernote. It's free. You can set it up to synch automatically. I keep one file (basically like a word doc) for each gun. I have a separate doc for load dev that I plan on doing in the future. ThT includes the goal for that session, the brass I'm using, how many rounds of each charge, etc and a line about what conclusions I came to from that session. When I finish the session I cut and paste those notes to a separate doc for each cal/load. For instance, I keepa a page for my 308, 155gr Berger notes, and another for my 167 Lapua notes. That way it's easy to look back at my load dev progress. I title each session by date. I also take a photo of each target and save those in the apple cloud. Each target is also dated so I can reference the Evernote notes to the actual target.

For the last 20 years I have kept not only my load data, but shooting session details, shot count, and hunting results recorded in school composition notebooks.

For the last 20 years I have kept not only my load data, but shooting session details, shot count, and hunting results recorded in school composition notebooks.

I don't go that far, but I have a couple of reams of targets sorted to caliber with date, temp, wind, distance, basic load data,and group size marked on them. I've got to get them into binders someday but for now at least I have the data.

Also, it's good to have notes on your ammo boxes detailed enough to be able to re-create your loads. I had a guy ask me to help him load some ammo for his pop's 270 and the only thing listed on his empty ammo box was bullet weight. I refused to help him load for the rifle as the info was zilch.

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. I think I'm gonna start with getting seperate binders for the different rifles and and have different tabs for the all the loads and keep the corresponding targets with the load data. And I'll work towards getting my info on the electronic side of things. Or maybe just experiment and have data for a certain rifle on my phone and the others on paper see what I like better. Do you guys know of any premade sheets that are out there that you just kinda fill in the blanks with your data or should I just keep making them from scratch?

Thanks for your guys' Input
Trent

I have the smaller executive journals for each of my rifles. They are easy to throw in my range bag. That way I can write down info for each session. Sometimes I tape targets inside them as well.

I have created a multi-tabbed excel spreadsheet that has all my reloading inventory, and all my reloading data. I keep that spreadsheet in a Dropbox account so I have access to it from anywhere. Comes in real handy when I'm at the lgs and need to check on powders or primers. Decided to go that route as I have over 25 different powders! I don't mind sharing any of my excel spreadsheets with anyone who needs them

I have created a multi-tabbed excel spreadsheet that has all my reloading inventory, and all my reloading data. I keep that spreadsheet in a Dropbox account so I have access to it from anywhere. Comes in real handy when I'm at the lgs and need to check on powders or primers. Decided to go that route as I have over 25 different powders! I don't mind sharing any of my excel spreadsheets with anyone who needs them

My problem is I'm not that experienced with excel. I've used it a little bit but not a whole lot. I wouldn't mind taking a look at your sheets if you don't mind.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.