Load Data for 6.5-284 with 137gr HH

I run 55.7 retumbo on a 1:8 twist and the 156 EOL for my 6.5-284 on a long action. I've done a lot of development with the RL26 in other calibers (6.5 creed, 7MM, 300 Win and 300 RUM) and have found it runs about 2-2.5 grains less for same pressure signs than retumbo in this those calibers.

Thanks for the reply Shane. I guess I'm a little confused on the twist. It seems that min twist recommendations are most often established using sea level as the elevation input. Is that not the case with Hammer? I'm confident those bullets absolutely need the recommended twist, or faster at sea level, but higher elevation should allow for stabilization with a bit slower twist.. Unless they are using a higher elevation for their calculations...

I would be quite surprised if that .5" twist difference made that big of a difference above 5,000' but I could be wrong. For example, Barnes recommends a 1:8 for the 7mm 168 LRX, but my 7RM has a 1:8.5 and shoots lights out with them, but again I've only shot it above 5000.' I'm excited to give them a try, but like anything I suppose it could lead to disappointment.

I'll definitely use a method for load development that you describe. It's interesting to me that there isn't really any published data for 6.5-284 with RL26, at least that I've been able to find. It does seem though, that I can basically do the same thing I did with the 142 ABLR load development where I started at 49gr RL26, shot up to 55.5gr where pressure signs arose, and landed at 54.5.
There's no load development data as it's very likely nobody has a 6.5-284 with a 6.5 twist rate.

I run 55.7 retumbo on a 1:8 twist and the 156 EOL for my 6.5-284 on a long action. I've done a lot of development with the RL26 in other calibers (6.5 creed, 7MM, 300 Win and 300 RUM) and have found it runs about 2-2.5 grains less for same pressure signs than retumbo in this those calibers.
One thing I forgot to mention. 55.7 grains of retumbo in my 6.5-284 is a mild to medium load, I didn't see pressure (light ejector marks) until 57.8 grains. I picked this load as it shoots 1/4 MOA and consistently is shooting less that 5fps ES.

I'm guessing your safe into the 55-56 grain area with an 8 twist but not sure how much to back off with the 6.5 twist.

I have used 52.6 gr re26 behind a sierra 150 without issue. They stabilize fine in my 8 twist, though 7.5 is what I think Sierra recommends.
I wouls assume your bullet has a very long body to require such a fast twist, but don't forget that the 6.5-284 will be 150 fps or more faster than a creedmore, which may really need that faster twist.
Try them. You'll never KNOW until you do.
I tried 155's from a bullet maker who has since passed, and half of them keyholed at 600 with an 8.5 twist.
Barts 103gr bullets should not work in my 9 twist 6DX, but they do.
Try it.

Call Steve at Hammer. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I'm loading 117gr HH in 270win. Steve said start with Nosler's MAX (yes, Max) load for 130gr and w/u 1gr at a time until pressure then back off 1g. Personally I'm either going to load to SAMMI overall length (CBTO) or seated to the last cannelure. Will publish my final load in a few weeks.

What velocity are you getting with that load? Barrel length?

I agree with others to use a lighter bullet. Send them back to Hammer for a replacement that will be stable. I used my 130 Accubond load when I switched to the 124 HH in my 6.5x47. Never changed a thing and shoots great. I'm sure I could load it higher but probably not worth it.

For anybody interested. I got to the range yesterday with loads to ladder test and found mild pressure signs with the 137HH at 57g RL26. Landed on 56.5gr with velocity at 3125 with that load. Even with the magnetospeed bayonet on, accuracy was well below 1/2 minute at 100.

Loaded some more up last night and hope to do further testing down range today if weather cooperates.

Recent Posts