Load Data for 6.5-284 with 137gr HH

Lobber

Hi all, I'm looking for some guidance for a recommendation on starting loads for 6.5-284 with 137gr Hammer Hunters and RL26.

I have not loaded hammer bullets before, and am a little unsure how their pressures will compare with published data for 140gr bullets and similar monos.

For reference, My current load is with 142gr ABLR, 54.5gr RL26 and CCI 200. This was near my max before getting pressure signs with this combo.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest looking at published data on a bullet like a 135gr. or 140gr. with the powder you want to use and start at the minimum charge weight and work your way up until you hit pressure. That is what majority of the people are doing with the hammer bullets. As long as you start at a minimum, you will be safe.

You are correct. Mine is a 1:7. I think it'll be fine as I live and hunt above 5K' elevation. I guess we'll see.

I would not try and use less than what Hammer recommends. If anything overspin. I tried a 10.25 and a 181gr and no bueno. Those models are made more for the cup and core. These monos need the twist rate they recommend from Hammer for sure.

As far as load data. With that bullet, take the Nosler manual for the 140s. I would start at 42gr and work up in one grain increments until you find pressure. Then back off a grain. Start with seating at .050" off lands. You could potentially be done with load dev in ten rounds. Five to find pressure and five more to check velocity. Then shoot for drops. Really with a couple of rifles it has been that easy. Some others, not so much. If you do not have the twist, I wouldn't waste the components trying to make it work.

Thanks for the reply Shane. I guess I'm a little confused on the twist. It seems that min twist recommendations are most often established using sea level as the elevation input. Is that not the case with Hammer? I'm confident those bullets absolutely need the recommended twist, or faster at sea level, but higher elevation should allow for stabilization with a bit slower twist.. Unless they are using a higher elevation for their calculations...

I would be quite surprised if that .5" twist difference made that big of a difference above 5,000' but I could be wrong. For example, Barnes recommends a 1:8 for the 7mm 168 LRX, but my 7RM has a 1:8.5 and shoots lights out with them, but again I've only shot it above 5000.' I'm excited to give them a try, but like anything I suppose it could lead to disappointment.

I'll definitely use a method for load development that you describe. It's interesting to me that there isn't really any published data for 6.5-284 with RL26, at least that I've been able to find. It does seem though, that I can basically do the same thing I did with the 142 ABLR load development where I started at 49gr RL26, shot up to 55.5gr where pressure signs arose, and landed at 54.5.

Not sure how Hammer does the twist recommendations, but I trust it. The 181gr now has a 9.5 twist where before I believe it was 10.
I think you would be better with elevation, but I will let Steve chime in. He will steer you best.

I use Reloader 23 with the 124gr in my 6.5x 284 Norma at about 3182 fps from a 27" barrel. It is slow though.

You may not notice it on paper but you will on game. The bullets may tumble. As far as pressures go I've been starting right below nosler max loads for similar bullet weights and powder burn rates and just working up. That's what's worked for me.

Your bullet will be stable in flight in those conditions, but where it gets questionable is terminal stability. So hitting game it will be fine...but how the bullet responds in the game starts to become an issue.

That said, I shoot the 181 gr out of my 300 WM with a 1-10" at altitude with good success on elk.

I would start at 53 gr of RL26 and work up pressure in 1g increments. Maybe start 53 and work up to 57...once you get pressure drop off 1 gr and load the rest up there.

r bullet will be stable in flight in those conditions, but where it gets questionable is terminal stability. So hitting game it will be fine...but how the bullet responds in the game starts to become an issue.

That said, I shoot the 181 gr out of my 300 WM with a 1-10" at altitude with good success on elk.

I would start at 53 gr of RL26 and work up pressure in 1g increments. Maybe start 53 and work up to 57...once you get pressure drop off 1 gr and load the rest up there.
Thanks for the reply. Your point with the 181s in a 1:10 at elevation, when recommendation is 1:9.5 and it working well is exactly my perspective and experience with other monos, though I'm new to the HH. Like I said earlier, I'd be surprised if the 137s don't work well in a 1:7 at elevation, but won't know til I try, I suppose.

Good call on loading. I'm not sure if I'll start at 53 or a little lower, but will likely do something very similar.

You may not notice it on paper but you will on game. The bullets may tumble. As far as pressures go I've been starting right below nosler max loads for similar bullet weights and powder burn rates and just working up. That's what's worked for me.
This is correct! We are learning that a stability factor of 1.5 is minimal for terminal performance. Where possible try for a stability factor of at least 2. More is better. The bullet may fly true through the air, but upon impact things can change rapidly and sometimes undesirably.
Run your load through Berger's or JBM'S stability calculator to see where you fall at your altitude

This is correct! We are learning that a stability factor of 1.5 is minimal for terminal performance. Where possible try for a stability factor of at least 2. More is better. The bullet may fly true through the air, but upon impact things can change rapidly and sometimes undesirably.
Run your load through Berger's or JBM'S stability calculator to see where you fall at your altitude
Yes sir. With the bullet specs at my minimum hunting elevation of 5,000' and assuming I can get about the same velocity with these as the 142 ABLR, I get a stability factor of 1.74 at 30 deg. F. Most of my hunting is over 7000' which shakes out at 1.88.

It really seems like I'll be fine. I imagine monolithic copper can change those numbers to a bit lower SF, but cant imagine it'll shake out below 1.5...