Load Data for .300 RUM/US869powder/Berger 210gr Hunting VLD

I tried 869 in 300 RUM with 212 ELD-X from a 26" barrel and couldn't get enough in the case to get pressure, I think I was in the low 112's range using a 18" drop tube and vibrating the case, my bullets were pushing back out of the case enough to measure. It was a full case plus. I was loading in the mid to upper 3.800's for length. I want to say I was in the low 3100's for speed, not anywhere near my notes at the moment. The certain thing I can say is that in my rifle 869 is too slow for the 212 weight range bullets. It was reasonably accurate and consistent, but I want to see some pressure signs so I can drop back to the next node. Lots of better choices like Retumbo, RL26 and RL33, N570.

Does wonders in my 7RUM but just never seen a benefit to trying it in the 300 as I feel it's too slow but others have used it with success. Seems it's more of a specific combo that's works well

Can't find any 200AB. Not for a long time. Got plenty of 212ELDX
I have a 300 RUM been looking at the 212 ELDX . Have you had a chance to try them out? How did your rifle do with them? I'm trying some 200 gr. Nosler partitions, they're okay but I think I can find something better

I think Retumbo and the 300 RUM is like ice cream & apple pie.

Here's why I shoot Retumbo. Target is Berger 215's. I get similar results using the Berger 210 VLDH bullet.

If all you have is the US869 powder then I understand. I do think it might be a tad slow for 210 class bullets.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpeg
    IMG_0165.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 26
As it should be obvious after 2 pages, Hodgdon US 869 is far too slow to create the pressure necessary to achieve both good velocity and a proper burn with your choice of bullets.

Retumbo is most appropriate especially considering the testing I've done with a variety of bullets, the most successful being the Badlands 195 gr. Super BD2. In this combination of case and bullet, I run both Retumbo, Norma 217 (discontinued), VVN-570 and sometimes Ramshot Magnum. My OAL is 3.850" and a jump of 0.035" with the limitation being my magazines (DBM).

Retumbo IS available through 3 outlets as of this morning, I checked:

Hodgdon (1 lb)
Natchez (8 lbs)
Powder Valley (8 lbs)

It's not cheap especially with the gouging attitude of the manufacturers and suppliers. But it is probably the best solution to your dilemma.

Enjoy the process!

:)

I agree with what you said about Retumbo. Read a couple threads from back when from Kirby that Retumbo is about as good as it gets for the 7rum and 300 rum