Load data for 26 nosler using ELD X bullets

jankcafe

Does anyone have any load data for a 26 Nosler using the new Hornady ELDx and ELD match bullets? I talked to hornady and they said 1-2 yrs to get any data from them.

I have tried them in my 6.5-06 AI and they foul really bad at 3100 FPS. I have a friend with a 264 WM who has the same problem. They shoot great in my 6.5 creedmoor and don't foul as bad so we think the speed is what makes them foul.

I would be interested to see your results with the high speeds of the nosler.

Nosler has data on their website for the 26 Nosler. I'm going to start there with my brothers new rifle, once he gets it scoped. Only difference I can see is that the new manual I have (Nosler Reloader 8) drops max 1-2 grains for the 140-142 Accubonds.

I have both the 142 Accubond and 143 ELD-X. They measure exactly the same for length. Only difference I can see is that the bearing surface is slightly larger on the ELD-X due to it's boat tail design being shorter and with less slope than the Accubond.

I think working up will be safe with the data online. Just remember****the new manual drops 1-2 grains off the online numbers for max charges.

Just a side note. I shoot both through my LR-308 6.5 Creedmoor and the charge is only different by .2 grains. Both shoot just under an inch. My manual was close with H4350. Too slow for my liking. I worked up my current load with RL-17, which isn't in the book.

I have tried them in my 6.5-06 AI and they foul really bad at 3100 FPS. I have a friend with a 264 WM who has the same problem. They shoot great in my 6.5 creedmoor and don't foul as bad so we think the speed is what makes them foul.

I would be interested to see your results with the high speeds of the nosler.

I have made a few different loads the 143 eldx and 140 eld match for the 26 nosler and I am getting extreme fouling after 8 shots.the speeds start out at 3264,3303, then drop drasticallyand after the 8 shots the barrel is completely fouled with copper so much so that the rifling is gone.

@ jankcafe.....have you tried other bullets and are they fouling. Maybe I should try to run my brothers 26 Nosler under 3200fps. Or, he'll have to clean it often.

I have used nosler's accubond LR and have shot lots of them with no problem with copper fouling.

Are these custom barrels that are fouling? I was hoping to try some ELD-X in my Sherman; but not if they foul things up.

Does anyone have any load data for a 26 Nosler using the new Hornady ELDx and ELD match bullets? I talked to hornady and they said 1-2 yrs to get any data from them.

I have been shooting the 143gr ELD-X in 6.5CM and 260 Remington. There have been no problems and they shoot great in my rifles. Now, the 26 Nosler is good to 850 yards BUT extremely inconsistent afterwards. I was worried about the bullet tip deforming due to the extreme velocity (3300fps). That seems to be well founded. Per Hornady, "At 3300 fps you could be seeing some tip shape change problems. The temperatures at those velocities are close to the melt point of aluminum." Normal velocities ~2850fps don't seem to be a problem and very accurate. But, with the 26 Nosler, I will stick with the 140 VLD. By the way, the load is 85.0gr of US869 and an average velocity of 3320fps.

I have been shooting the 143gr ELD-X in 6.5CM and 260 Remington. There have been no problems and they shoot great in my rifles. Now, the 26 Nosler is good to 850 yards BUT extremely inconsistent afterwards. I was worried about the bullet tip deforming due to the extreme velocity (3300fps). That seems to be well founded. Per Hornady, "At 3300 fps you could be seeing some tip shape change problems. The temperatures at those velocities are close to the melt point of aluminum." Normal velocities ~2850fps don't seem to be a problem and very accurate. But, with the 26 Nosler, I will stick with the 140 VLD. By the way, the load is 85.0gr of US869 and an average velocity of 3320fps.

Glad I found this thread! I've been skeptical of running VLDs at 26 Nosler velocities thinking they'd be too explosive at close range but this fouling issue with the ELD-Xs gives me even more concern. This isn't the first place I've heard of this problem! I think I'm going to stick with the VLDs for now and see how they perform at close range.

I have made a few different loads the 143 eldx and 140 eld match for the 26 nosler and I am getting extreme fouling after 8 shots.the speeds start out at 3264,3303, then drop drasticallyand after the 8 shots the barrel is completely fouled with copper so much so that the rifling is gone.

I am seeing a similar issue in my 264 mag at 3170 with the ELDX. I get about 40 rounds total down the pipe and the group opens up. I have 496 rounds total down my barrel. I haven't strapped the magnetospeed on it more toward the end of the accuracy window, but I certainly should. I don't fire more than two rounds at a time so it isn't an issue of barrel heating.
I also have a 6.5/06 that I've just started working with the ELDX, so far one trip to the range. I haven't done much more than a ladder test thus far. My rifle was perfectly happy at 2900 fps with Norma 217. I was planning to load a bit warmer and see what the rig safely likes, as the prior load was just shy of 3000fps with the 140 Berger. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree trying to go with the ELDX
My shooting buddy has had wonderful luck with the ELDX out of his 6.5 creedmoor at 2630 fps. He has logged 102 of the ELDX and hasn't seen any degradation of accuracy. Maybe I should just stick with the Berger hybrid or the Sierra matchking. :/

IMO fouling comes from a combination of twist rate AND muzzle velocity. Years ago I had just started testing loads for my 6mm x 284 Winchester. 30 inch lilja barrel 1 in 8 twist using 107 gr sierra matchkings and reloader 22. the bullets came apart before they hit paper at 100 yards. found h1000 to be a bit slower but the bullets held together.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.