Lite Weight Long Range Deer Hunting Custom Rifle Build Questions

huntinherrrington

As the title says, I'm researching for a lite weight rifle but solid to shoot long range. Let's say 1000 yards. This will be dual purpose for me and my wife for hunting and some target but mainly hunting. I am a 30 cal man. I'm wanting to change it up as slinging 225 grain projectiles from a non braked gun is not fun for my wife and she shoots a R700 Youth 7mm-08(pencil barrel). Figured it's time to see what this 6.5 rave is about! Here is what I'm thinking....

R700
6.5 Sherman
26"- 28" Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrel
Scope?
Stock?
Trigger Tech Trigger

What is a good stock that double for long range hunting/shooting(no chassis system)? Most of my current guns run 700P HS take off's. While i like them, I want something purpose built this time. I've always liked the McMillan thumb hole hunting stocks but have never held one in person.

I'm not looking for the lightest rifle possible. I have one R700 ADL 30-06 pencil barrel for woods hunting. The next lightest bolt gun i have is my R700 LTR 308 with the rest of my guns having 26" Remington Varmint contours. So when i mean lite that is what i'm basing the weight off of!

I live in Louisiana so no mountain terrain or tough hiking.

Last edited:
I am having pierce engineering do my 6.5 build. Ti action and carbon barrel. I went with ti because I coul add weight where I wanted it. I choose the manners EH5 thumbhole. Still fairly light for a thumbhole. You will be able to add more weight for a scope the lighter you make the rifle. Sounds like a fun build. Let us know what you go with.

As the title says, I'm researching for a lite weight rifle but solid to shoot long range. Let's say 1000 yards. This will be dual purpose for me and my wife for hunting and some target but mainly hunting. I am a 30 cal man. I'm wanting to change it up as slinging 225 grain projectiles from a non braked gun is not fun for my wife and she shoots a R700 Youth 7mm-08(pencil barrel). Figured it's time to see what this 6.5 rave is about! Here is what I'm thinking....

R700
6.5 Sherman
26"- 28" Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrel
Scope?
Stock?
Trigger Tech Trigger

What is a good stock that double for long range hunting/shooting(no chassis system)? Most of my current guns run 700P HS take off's. While i like them, I want something purpose built this time. I've always liked the McMillan thumb hole hunting stocks but have never held one in person.

I'm not looking for the lightest rifle possible. I have one R700 ADL 30-06 pencil barrel for woods hunting. The next lightest bolt gun i have is my R700 LTR 308 with the rest of my guns having 26" Remington Varmint contours. So when i mean lite that is what i'm basing the weight off of!

I live in Louisiana so no mountain terrain or tough hiking.

That will be a slick rig. What is your max budget for the scope/rings/base and stock?

For stocks I like Mcmillan Game Scout or Manners EH1. Both have more of a vertical grip which is nice for shooting prone off a bipod; but also shoulder and swing nicely. I believe both are offered in a carbon fiber option. As far as the Sherman goes it is impressive. Mine will run 140 Bergers at 3300 plus fps out of a 28" Hart. R26 and N570 have been the powders that have worked the best for me.

Any mcmillian stock can be ordered with their lightweight edge technology. On a tooley mbr that saves at least
a half pound.

For stocks I like Mcmillan Game Scout or Manners EH1. Both have more of a vertical grip which is nice for shooting prone off a bipod; but also shoulder and swing nicely. I believe both are offered in a carbon fiber option. As far as the Sherman goes it is impressive. Mine will run 140 Bergers at 3300 plus fps out of a 28" Hart. R26 and N570 have been the powders that have worked the best for me.

What kind of Pressures & Brass life are you experiencing?

This load was on the hot side. primers were getting flat. No ejector mark or heavy bolt lift. I have since dropped that load by one grain to save brass. It was a very accurate load however. A 140 Berger at 3339 fps is quick! This load I used N570. I was getting around 4 loadings if I remember right before primer pocket would loosen up. My friend also has a Sherman and can run 140's over 3300 fps as well out of a 28" BRUX.

This load was on the hot side. primers were getting flat. No ejector mark or heavy bolt lift. I have since dropped that load by one grain to save brass. It was a very accurate load however. A 140 Berger at 3339 fps is quick! This load I used N570. I was getting around 4 loadings if I remember right before primer pocket would loosen up. My friend also has a Sherman and can run 140's over 3300 fps as well out of a 28" BRUX.

Based on your findings, do you believe the .280 Sherman will push the 180 Hornadys @ 3000fps, & do it with good Brass Life/ at safe pressure out of a quality 26" tube?

Rich would be able to answer that question for you better than me. I wish I could remember what speed I was getting with a 160 Matrix. It was also fast if I remember right. My guess would be that you could get close or maybe even up to 3000 fps with a 180. Again this would be better to send Rich a PM and verify.

Rich would be able to answer that question for you better than me. I wish I could remember what speed I was getting with a 160 Matrix. It was also fast if I remember right. My guess would be that you could get close or maybe even up to 3000 fps with a 180. Again this would be better to send Rich a PM and verify.

Rich & I have talked about the .280 & the .338.

I'm asking for end user experiences.

Thank You for Sharing Your Experiences.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.