Lightweight Shooting Platform?

I might give that a try. I'm not packing this type of item. The spots that I hunt, are close to the road. I could drop off the "gear", park the truck, and walk the half of a mile to my spot. It's kind of like P-dog hunting for deer. Sometimes they're close (fifty yards) and some times they're far (200 yards). Well, 200 yds. is about my limit with the slug gun.

Those of you who hunt deer in a place that you can use a rifle should feel lucky.

SNIP

Those of you who hunt deer in a place that you can use a rifle should feel lucky.

Does your area allow muzzleloaders? With a good ML you can easily get past 300 yards and some of the smokeless versions past 500 is possible.

edge.

For my packable long range platform I use a heavy duty Bogen/Manfrotto tripod with a home made rest that fits my rifle forend. Similar to a previous post I use a set of stony point shooting sticks under the butt of the rifle. I like the bipod type shooting sticks much better than the mono pod. Personally I have never seen much use for a mono pod. They don't weigh any or much less than a bipod set and are not nearly as stable.... but I digress........

The tripod I will already have with me since it is the same one I use for my spotting scope. I use quick detach mounts on both my spotting scope and rifle rest so it only takes a second to do a swap. I used to use this set up sitting on the ground but I have now added a lightweight stool to my setup and use that to sit on. With my particular tripod it is sturdy enough to also use standing. I took an elk last year at 600+ yards with this set up standing because there was chest high brush right in front of me.

If you do this, or use any other tripod mount you need a heavy duty tripod. Try this with a cheap lightweight tripod and you likely decide it don't work. I have several tripods most of which are fairly expensive Bogen. Even with those, the lightweight and carbon fiber ones are not as stable as I like. I have one I have had for many years now that is a heavy duty one that will extend to about 52". It weights about 5 lbs but it is solid as a rock even with the center post extended. Watch the recommended weight limit on tripods. Many of them are just rated for a couple of pounds. When you put a 12+ pound rifle on there they are going to get wobbly.

With the right tripod and the shooting sticks under the butt, you can get very stable. I have used this system to take antelope at over 900 yards and many critters in the 500 to 800 yard range. It works well for p-dogs and I am very comfortable with the stability for shots on big game at well over 1000. I just have never had the chance to take a shot that far off it.......... YET. gun)

The Primos trigger stick tripod is instantly adjustable and can be had for under a hundred bucks.
The top yoke is easily changed.

edge.

21Dlq2duWFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Does your area allow muzzleloaders? With a good ML you can easily get past 300 yards and some of the smokeless versions past 500 is possible.

edge.

You can use ML's, but not smokeless versions. I use Hornady SST 12ga. sabot slugs that are close to ML performance. It would just be cool to unleash my .300 wm on the local deer population.

SHRTSHTR, the McFaden rest looks really amazingly accurate, thanks for the post.

edge.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.