Lightweight 338 Lapua

FLhunter620

Do any of you guys have a 338 lapua that weighs somewhere in the 8-10 lbs range?? I am thinking of having one built and was wondering how bad the recoil is when the rifle is that light. Thank you for any advice you may have.

I have two 338 Lapuas in the 8 pound range. With a good muzzle brake recoil is not a problem. Lighter high BC bullets like the 225 grain .64 bc Cutting Edge also help tremendously.

I had one built by Kirby that comes in at about 10 1/4 lbs with out the scope. The rifles has a # 5 Stalker barrel fluted with one of his muzzle breaks. The recoil is a bit with 300 grain bullets and I am not recoil shy, as I shoot a 416 Rem mag in Africa with out a break. If I had to do it all over, I would at the very least go with a #6 barrel fluted if weight is a concern. However, my next barrel will be a #7 fluted. The problem I have is after my shot, I lose the target or animal in my scope because of the recoil, so if you want to see the animal hit or fire a 2nd shot, it takes a few to get back on target. The rifle is not so bad with 225 bullets.

Having said that, I have made a 700 yard plus shot and took an oryx with this rifle. The rifle is very accurate.

Attachments

• P9060020[1] 338 Lapua.jpg
    P9060020[1] 338 Lapua.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 242
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.