light weight rifle

screech

Hey guy's
I have a friend that is wanting a rifle that will be used for both rock chuck's, deer and up to 250-300 yrd elk gun. He is wanting it to be as light as posible, with in reason. He is also wanting to try the .260. Do you guy's have any suggestions to the rifle. also do you guy's have any expierience with this caliber on elk? Thanks for any info

Screech, The 260 shhots great and would work for all your specs except it is awfully light for elk. With a premium bullet put in the perfect spot, it would function, but no room for error. Jump up to a 7/08. A little heavy for chucks, but would work with Hornady V-Max or similar bullets. It would be adequate for elk, and a great deer round. Guess it depends on what your buddy wants. I'd rather be overgunned on chucks, and not so under gunnned on elk! You could go with a Model 7 Remington or a SA Remington to keep weight down. OR, go with a titanium Remington and really have a light gun!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Dpending on your budget you could go with a Sako Finlight, which is a mountain rifle and a treat to shoot. I bought 2 because they were that good. They also come with a fluted barrel and detachable mag and boy do they shoot straight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

screech, I think the 260 would be ok, for average elk, at the range you listed. Just load up a good bullet, the 6.5 penetrate extremealy well. If I was hunting for large bulls, I would want something bigger. I don't think the 7-08 offers a big enough advantage to go with that over a 260, since most shooting will be chucks and deer.

Nosler claims they will have an Accubond 130 gr in 6.5 out soon this fact may sway you toward a 260. All though the 260 is a little light for elk I would use one. Just be sure you are very paticular where you place the bullet. I love my 260 and have shot many matches and a couple of deer with it.

Thanks everyone. I'll just see if I cant talk him into two rifles. A 260 for deer and chucks and probablly a 300 of some sort for elk. Thanks again for the input

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.