Light Rifles

rolltide

Gentleman,

I'm trying to help my father find a rifle to hunt with that is lighter than his current rifles. He mostly uses Remington 700 BDLs that are stainless with synthetic factory stocks and occasionaly a Winchester or Weatherby Accumark. Caliber is undecided at this time, but he has talked .260, .308, .270WSM, 7mmWSM and the .300WSM. Dad doesn't want to go the custom route since he wants to be able to touch and feel and hopefully shoot the rifles to compare.

For those that have them, can you give me some feedback on the Remington Titanium, the Browning Titanium and the Kimber? He has his mind made up that the rifle needs to be stainless and synthetic, and he hasn't decided on a scope but I would really like to get some feedback for him. He likes my .280 Mountain Rifle, but wants the stainless synthetic.

If you can think of any additional lightweights, please mention them.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Chris

[ QUOTE ]
Gentleman,

Dad doesn't want to go the custom route since he wants to be able to touch and feel and hopefully shoot the rifles to compare.

[/ QUOTE ]

he could touch, feel, and shoot all the factory rifles out there, but a custom that is built to his specs and fitment will be far ahead of any of them.

just my .03 (i went to college /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I have a Weaterby super big game master in 280 rem, 5 3/4 pounds less scope. It is a synthetic/stainless barrel, but has a very tough black finish over all the metal.

It's my walking gun of choice, 1 moa with my handloads.
balances and handles very well.

Has taken deer, elk amd bear, in the last 3years.

Thanks for mentioning the Weatherby Coyboy! I had forgotten about it. I had hoped to get more response, but I know that these types of rifles aren't menitoned much hear.

Thanks again,

Chris

There is Magnum Research - Desert Eagle. But for the price you could have a gunsmith build you a light rifle to your exact specifications.

Rolltide

Remington also makes a model 7 in most of the
caliber's you mentioned and it comes in ss with
composit or laminate stocks.

They are short light and accurate. also around
$600.00 dollars.

I have used the model 7 action on custom rifles
with great success. the action is about a 1/2"
shorter than the 700 short action .

Check them out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the replys. I think he may end up with a Kimber. We looked at the 84M Montana in .308 today and it sure is light. I'm not sure yet, but he really liked it.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.