Leveling your scope

JWP, do you have a ref for David Tubb's shooting canted. It's not that I dont believe you, but I would just like to read it to get it in context with no misunderstanding.

Yes, I read his second book and he goes into great detail about it in the book.

This is David Tubbs mounting system when he shot Metallic Silhouettes and he was so dominate with this system the rules committee outlawed it.

TubbSilhouetterifle.jpg

If your reticle is not plumbed to gravity (what else would it be plmbed to?) And you dial in elevation correction, your correction will cause your POI to shift, if you use the same POA. That is not an opinion, that's a cold hard fact.

Yes of course the reticule has to be level. No one is advocating different.

Who said anything about CHANGING cant?

You can rotate a gun in any of 360deg and the bullet will DROP exactly the same. You could sight in a gun upside down or sideways, it's a round bore. So if you zero with the gun 90deg off vertical, and your turret adjustment is plumb, and you shoot it 90deg off vertical -as zero'd, all is fine.

Now if you change can't from shot to shot, then your POI will change..
But nobody is talking about doing anything like that. That's what the level prevents.

Well it sure didn't take long to kick up a little dust :D

JWP, thanks for the pic. As they say, a pic is worth a thousand words. That explains a lot of things as it appears that the rifle is canted in one direction and the scope mounts are canted in the opposite direction to place the scope in plumb with the bore. A very interesting set up he has there.

Mike, I think I may have misunderstood you, but if you cant your rifle (even to the same degree) with scope canted as well, as in not plumb to bore, you can only be *accurate* at one distance. Sight line and bore line must be plumbed and in the same verticle plain to keep the bullet from drifting at different ranges. Cheers :)

I wish I could provide a diagram to explain why I asked what I did. If you have a scope, mounted 6" to the left (or right) as the bore's vertical axis you'll only be able to sight it in for one distance because it is not on the same vertical axis of the bore. The bullet is flying in a path that is x degrees different than the direction the bore is pointing.

In example, if you mount your scope where the vertical axis is 2" to the left of the bore's vertical axis, rather than in line with it, then zero your rifle at 100 yds, when you engage a target at 200 yds the impact will be 2" to the right. The bullet will have passed through the target at an angle at 100 yds which was induced by mounting the scope out of line with vertical axis of the bore.

Replies keep on coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Thank you all guys. All your comments are really appreciated, and very informative.
I never thought this post was going to be so discussed. I made a question and I have received so many answers and methods of leveling the scope that I am thinking maybe somebody should write a book about it with all these techniques and information.
Thank you all for participating, for taking the time to read it, and for taking the time to write in it. Thanks for the teaching.:D:D:D

I love this website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.