leveling scope better

milkie62

I have a Wheeler Scope mtg kit.There are 2 small levels that come in the kit.One is to be mounted in the bolt area.Well unfortunately there is not a good true level area across the open bolt area.My rifle is a Mossberg MVP which is a decent tackdriver usually shooting .5-.7 moa.My problem is the scope is ever so slightly canted and my eye relief is not setup properly.What is the best way to setup eye relief ? Hold the gun comfortably and have someone slide it front to back for me until I get a full sight picture ? Also has anyone used the Wheeler gold colored barrel clamp on sight level ? Any suggestions on getting my reticle true with no cant ? Thanks Ed

I have the Wheeler levels you are talking about. You're right you are limited to certain actions for it to work.
I used it a few times and could never get a true level cross hair. So one day I decided to check the level that fits in the action against a small torpedo level, and it was way off! The plastic is bent and it's strictly junk. The little one inch wide level that comes with it works. So I use it with a small torpedo level on the scope rail.
I level the rifle and lock it in a vise, then install the scope and level it.

I still have to tweak it some when I get to the range testing it at 500 yards..

Which mounts do you have?

I own the same setup, but also use a 6 inch level as an assist as well as this tool:

VERTICAL RETICLE INSTRUMENT | Brownells

Sometimes the bases/mounts make lining up everything difficult, and sometimes they don't, that's why I asked.

I used something like this tool, except I made one. Basically I strive to get the vertical to go through the center of the barrel.

The way I do this is to first use a plumb line hanging at a distance and mount a scope level on the scope tube. I usually do this at the 100 yd range but if you have something you could look at with the scope to give you a vertical reference that should work. Then I use the tool to use gravity to line up the centerline of the scope with the centerline of the barrel. When that relationship is fixed then rotate the scope so that the level is showing level.

To adjust the eye relief I usually do the following:

Close both eyes and pick the rifle up to your shoulder and hold it in shooting position with your eyes closed. Get a good comfortable cheekweld while your eyes are still closed. Make sure it is comfortable, and when everything FEELS comfortable, open your eyes without moving your head on the stock. If you can see a full sight picture in your scope (no black edges) you have the correct eye relief for your scope. Don't move your head, but adjust the scope closer or further away from your eye, then retighten the rings.
If you don't do it this way, then you will always have to move your eye closer or further from the eyepiece when you are getting ready to shoot to get a full sight picture in the field of view.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.