Leupold VX5hd or Vortex LHT

cb4128

I have a lightweight folding rifle in 6.5 creedmoor that I'm looking to get a scope for - I'd prefer a decent turret to dial out to 600 yards or so, as well as a reticle with windage and illuminated dot.

Trying to keep it under 20oz, so I'm looking at the following scopes:

- Leupold VX5HD 3.5-14x44 with illum firedot
- Vortex HD LHT 3.5-15x42 with illum moa reticle

I'm not aware of an MOA illuminated reticle for the Leupold, only the firedot. This rifle will double as a kid's blind and truck gun - so I'd prefer some sort of illuminated center dot to help with quick aiming.

Please let me know if you had any input on either model scope!

Thanks

I've got a few of the vx5 scopes, and I love them. I have one that I bounced down a mountain while bear hunting in November. Took a chunk out of the elevation turret and 2 dings to the bell, and it had a zero poi shift.

The clarity is impressive when compared to every scope I own. I have a Nightforce NX8, and at 15x, the leupold is much better to my eyes. Oh, and they make them in America.

I have several VX5HD and VX6HD's. Leupold really hit a home run with these scopes. excellent clarity, zero stop/locking feature. My only complaint is every Leupold VX series scopes I have ever owned has over-dialed by about 2% or more. But that's easy to account for in your ballistic app.

The power on the VX-5HD is 3-15x FYI(typo I think)
The illuminated firedot is ok for hunting but not so great for target shooting past ~500 yards as the cross hairs are too thick and obscure the bullseye, fine for deer size stuff though. I have not looked at the firedot fine duplex though.
The VX-5HD and VX-6 use the same glass and it is pretty good, you will have to get up into the Vortex Razor line to be on par.

Hope it's a typo - alternatively, the OP could be confused with the VX3HD..?

I have used both - a VX5HD (3-15x44) , currently own a 3-15x50 LHT

Honestly, fit and finish goes to the leupy. I am not a Leupold fan, but it /feels/ like a better scope.

Mag ring is way smoother, illumination is very well done. The LHT illum is a bit of a joke. Doesn't go dim enough for nighttime use, and is nowhere close to as 'daybright' as an aimpoint. Leupolds firedot goes both dimmer and brighter than the LHT.

I ran a VXR for a couple of years on my .223 (I carry that gun just about every day for 8mo of the year) and never once had to replace a battery.

I have gone through 2 batteries in the LHT - I haven't had it more than 6mo. I installed a third and put scotch tape on the positive side. I can always pull the tape off if I need it (rarely).

Optically, while the VX5 has better contrast to my eye, the LHT is ahead in resolution.

For a daytime target shooter, the LHT might be a better choice (but they even screwed up the reticle - in my opinion the old HSR-4 in the razor LH is better, they had to do away with the fine crosshair in favor of an Illuminated dot in the new version)

It pains me to write this - I have had some bad experiences with Leupold products in the past (I once owned several, and now zero), but in this case I think the VX5HD is a better scope.

There are a lot of guys on this forum using them, and I have only read of one or two having tracking problems.

For me, that is my primary concern.

Leupold is also likely to have a lot better resale value when it comes to upgrading down the road.

I have been considering a Tract toric as another possibility, but at this point I just want a TT315M and be done.

Unfortunately with fur prices where they are, I may need to redefine my side hustle to make that happen.

I was in the same situation as the op, many good discussions on the internet between the leupold vx5 and the vortex lht, so much so it can get confusing. I went with the vortex mainly because of the reticle but in reality, both are good scopes, my advice is choose one and don't look back

I've owned both. Sold my vx6s and swapped them for LHTs. So far not regretting that decision at all.

I like the Vortex LHT reticle a lot better than the Leupold options. I am super impressed with the LHT and it is probably my fav scope. I have a vx-6 which is a little heavier but it is 3-18. I am currently doing a comparison between the 2 to see which one will live on the hunting rifle.

I have both. The Leupold is a duplex fire dot and the LHT is the hsr-5i moa. Prefer the vortex Reticle, zero stop and dial but like the illumination better on the leupold. Both seem to dial and hold zero just fine. Havent hunted with the vx5hd yet but have used the LHT extensively and have been very pleased. Doubt you could go wrong either way. I just got another vortex lht for my Barrett 6.5 creedmoor.