Leupold VX-5 Help

Bominiscious

I am brand new to shooting long range and I haven't even gotten to the "long range" part of it yet. Just now starting to shoot between 500-600 yards using a basic hunting scope set up. (I have a Zeiss conquest V4). I'd like to stretch it out to 800 yards for my next step and not quite ready to make the first focal plane jump because my rifle is dual purpose and serves as my primary big game hunting rifle. Would the VX5 be a good next step until I really settle into my first FFP scope which I plan on doing next year? Once I make that jump I would move this VX5 onto my son's rifle to replace his old VX3.

On a limited budget part of my strategy is to upgrade my sons rifle glass and then to upgrade my long range set up. Hopefully that's not all too confusing. The short of it is I'm looking for opinions on that scope and recommendations on which configuration would be ideal. As a bow hunter and 200 yards-and-in rifle Hunter this is all very new to me.

I have a VX5HD 3-15x44 and it is a fantastic scope. They are available with the CDS dials which make them easy to shoot at distance once you have a consistent load nailed down that you're happy with. I shoot both 1st and second focal plane scopes with nearly all my long range setups using FFP arrangements. Do some research into what's out there. Scope likes and dislikes can be very personal things. I run a host of different brands with the bulk being Leupold and Vortex with a few Burris thrown in the mix. There are some really great entry level long range scopes out there with tons of high end features but a low starting price. A couple that jump to mind are the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 and the Arken EP5. Good luck in your endeavor and enjoy the journey.

I've more than a few vx-5hd scopes and love them for what they are. But if your goal is eventually ffp and dialing I'd try my best to steer you towards an xtr 3. If you deal hunt or hit up liberty optics and wait they can be had for near a grand, so minimally more than a retail vx5. For the money the xtr 3 is probably the best dialing entry level but not compromising ffp very reputable dialing scope currently available.

No sense and learning one method if your goal is another. The reticles while not the perfect brush scope reticles the wide fov low end will make it serviceable enough low down and illumination can also help in the brush.

Dual purpose scopes (hunting and LR Target) involve compromises. The FFP vs SFP debate is a personal preference. If you hunt in wooded areas where shorter range shots are common, FFP can present challenges with reticle viewing on low power settings. The VX5HD is a great scope, but there are too many good scopes to mention here. Budget constraints can really narrow down the options. I try to avoid feeding the Chinese economy. This usually means I must pay more, but it is worth it to me.

If your conquest doesn't have turrets, an option is sending in the scope to zeiss or ordering some. I don't think your going to find a big performance increase. The conquest is a solid scope. I have a vx5. It's on a medium range hunting rig and its solid in that world. If you truly want to shoot LR, I'd skip right over that price point imo.

Recent Posts